In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please help with background of Colt.

wilbur33wilbur33 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was given a U.S. Army Model 1894 Colt Model D.A. .38 by my grandfather some years ago. I have been looking for some time for information on this pistol and have been unable to find any information. It was made in 1888, I believe. Any help would be great.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    You have a most underrated and historical revolver. It was the first swing out adopted by the US Army. It was also the revolver that prompted the Army to adopt the 1911.

I have been scarfing these up for a few years.

There is a wealth of information on the net about them. Modify your search with such words as "Colt" "Collectors" "Colt DA 38"

A number of Colt books abound if you care to go that route. I don't understand why you are having a hard time getting information.

You weapon is basically the same from 1886 to 1903. Most any of these will have some info.

Good luck.

Sometimes I wonder if anything is ever ended. The words a man speaks today live on in his thoughts or the memories of others, and the shot fired, the blow struck, the thing done today is like a stone tossed into a pool and the ripples keep widening out until they touch lives far from ours
    To succeed as a human being is not always the same as succeeding in your life's work, although they can go hand in hand. L'Amour

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you could be a little more explicit, re all the markings & serial number, ( replace the last 2 digets with Xes ) on your revolver, we would be better able to help you.

Colt made (2) different models of swingout cylinder revolver during that time frame.

1), Model 1889 Navy Double Action Revolver

2), New Army and Navy

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    wilbur33wilbur33 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the serial number on the base of the grip is 610xx. above the grips L.E.6. is stamped and directly above that R.A.C. is stamped.

The barrel reads patened Aug 5th, 1884 November 6th 1888. There are intials carved into each side of the base on the grips I am unable to reads these though. I was amazed to find that every part on the gun to include the grips is marked with 10xx.

Thank you for all of your help.

Semper Fi! Cpl Wilbur33
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wilbur33
    the serial number on the base of the grip is 610xx. above the grips L.E.6. is stamped and directly above that R.A.C. is stamped.

The barrel reads patened Aug 5th, 1884 November 6th 1888. There are intials carved into each side of the base on the grips I am unable to reads these though. I was amazed to find that every part on the gun to include the grips is marked with 10xx.

Thank you for all of your help.

Semper Fi! Cpl Wilbur33

Per your Serial Number and markings. Your revolver is a "Colt New Army and Navy Revolver". It was probably manufactured in the early 1890's because of the low serial number, and the (2) patent dates on the barrel.

"R.A.C." was a US government inspector, which means your revolver was one of the app. 8,000? made for the Army. Since their were over 291,00 New Army and Navy Revolvers made between 1892 & 1907, the Army marked version is quite desireable.

Cautionary note here! Your revolver was chambered for the "Black Powder" .38 Long Colt cartridge , not the .38 Special. It's not prudent to fire modern .38 Special ammo in it. If you have to shoot it, use only lightly loaded .38 Special, "Target Ammo".

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1