In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ballistics/trajectory question

kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I am going to sight in a Remington Model Six 30-06 with a 3x9 Nikon scope. I only have a fifty yard range to sight in on. If I want to be zeroed at 100 or 150 yards, where should I be at fifty yards? The scope has a 40 mm objective in medium height Leupold mounts. I'll be shooting 168g. Winchester Ballistic Silvertips with a mv of 2790 with ME of 2950. Is there some table that would tell me where I should have the POA to expect the point of impact to be on at 100 yards and 150 yards ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    1/2" low at 50 should put you in the right ball park at 200, and a touch high at 100-150, but more depends on the distance from center of the bore to the center of you sighting device; Ie how tall are your rings.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, # 1 your using factory MV, you probably won't reach it but will be more like 2700ish. Sticking with the factory specs and using a bore center to scope center diistance of 1.65.
    .226 low at 50 = zero at 100yd, 3" low at 192yd
    .127 high at 50 = zero at 150yd, 3" low at 215yd
    .650 high at 50 = zero at 200yd, 3" low at 249yd
    1.11 high at 50 will keep you +/- 3" (6" kill zone) out to 279yd (zero = 237yd)

Now, before you make a shot (on game) past 50yd, you need to practice (and re-adjust your scope if neccessory) at the longer distances. DO NOT assume that if you sight in at 50 yards that you will actualy be zeroed at the given ranges. MV differences, bullet un-stabilization factors, scope height differences, etc will throw all these calculations right out the window.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the others, when discussing sighting in with Hunter Ed classes, I urge them to sight in at the distance they will be shooting and at the altitude they will be hunting. Point of impact can vary enough to cause a wounded animal to be lost. Hunter's ethics demand that every effort be used to cleanly kill the game. Please go to the extra effort to shoot at a longer range than 50 yards.

Life member NRA (25 yrs)
    F&AM (P.M. x2)
    Hunter Ed. Instructor
    VN Vet
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner gave you some real good info there.

Realize that .127" at 50 yds for the 150 yd zero only represents 1/8th of an inch. That's gonna be a little tough to determine a group center only 1/8" above center of target. I'd settle for the 1" high (forget the .11")at 50 yds and figure it was a well sighted rifle at that range.

The first opportunity prior to hunting and in a place where I could find a 3" diameter rock or some equal thing safe to shoot at, and that was out about 150 - 200 yds, I'd see if I could bust it.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to each of you for the information. My bore center to scope center distance is 1.70 inches so the figures given are probably pretty accurate. I plan to sight in at 3/4 to one inch high at fifty yards. I will find a way to re-check at 100-150 yards before deer season opens. Since it is a new gun to me, I wanted to get very close to a 150 yard zero before taking it out to a 150 range. In the area that I hunt, 200 yards is about the maximum that I will shoot. I too am concerned about clean shots and only take shots when I am reasonably certain that I can make them. Regardless of what the gun can do under ideal circumstances, I respect my limitations in the field.

Thanks again,

KT