In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bolt actions vs others

laisterrlaisterr Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Why are bolt actions more accurate than other type of rifles?

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The action has at least 60 degrees and as much as 90 degrees of camming power to seat the cartridge securely in the chamber, secondly, thelocking lugs are in immediate proximity to the chamber base, reducing spring when pressure is applied, thirdly, the action alone supports the barrel, so the bedding can be adjusted to match the harmonics of the load/barrel to provide the most repeatbility. Other actions may have one or two, but only the bolt has all, so on average, is more accurate.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Ray, I always new that most bolts were more accurate than other actions, I just never heard the reasons before. Aren't the three things you listed also true with AR-15 style guns also.

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to play devils advocate on this[}:)], a bolt action rifle is NOT necessarily the MOST accurate design. In reality, the MOST accurate actions are typically found on SINGLE SHOT rifles (e.g like the Winchester Model 1885 high-wall, Sharps Borchardt, Ballard, etc.). Bolt actions are simply more favored because they allow for a more rapid follow-up shot and reloading. I will put anyone of the many Winchester Model 1885s that I own up against any bolt-action rifle on the market in an accuracy test[^]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I will put anyone of the many Winchester Model 1885s that I own up against any bolt-action rifle on the market in an accuracy test

I'll take that bet[:D] Does my rifle have to be factory or can one of my slightly heavier bolt actions be used.

The reason for bolt guns being more accurate is that they don't have any moving parts during ignition and bullet travel down the bore,..other than a firing pin. The lack of moving parts makes the bolt gun more repeatable from shot to shot since every part will be in the same place in relation to the case. Semi-auto rifles with a multitude of moving parts as well as a gas recirculation system designed to work the action,..introduce so many variables into the whole operation that there is little consistency from shot to shot. The gas pressure bleed-off creates very inconsistent pressure curves as powder is burned behind the projectile. The best semi-auto rifles have had so many refinements to make them more accurate,..that their price tag reflects the changes. (see the M21 rifle from Springfield Armory) I have personaly gotten .5moa groups from one of those rifles,..but for almost $3000,..it had damn sure better.

The 2 locking lug or even 3 locking lug, round body, bolt action is by far the easiest to get shooting very small groups.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    quote:I will put anyone of the many Winchester Model 1885s that I own up against any bolt-action rifle on the market in an accuracy test

I'll take that bet[:D] Does my rifle have to be factory or can one of my slightly heavier bolt actions be used. Yes, it does have to be factory... just like my original high-walls are. Custom built bolt guns are no better than a custom built single-shot (which I also own a few of).

quote:The reason for bolt guns being more accurate is that they don't have any moving parts during ignition and bullet travel down the bore,..other than a firing pin. The lack of moving parts makes the bolt gun more repeatable from shot to shot since every part will be in the same place in relation to the case. The exact same thing is true for a Single-shot rifle... especially a Winchester high-wall (which has the strongest action of all the various single-shots made)[^][:D]

Bert H.

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with single shot rifles is limited to the Ruger number one and three models. I was not too happy with the accuracy of a Ruger number one in .223 that I owned. It grouped at 1.5 inches with handloads. I always blamed it on the two piece stock. I have seen others posting here having accuracy problems with the Ruger single shots as well. My opinion is its easier to make bolt guns accurate that any other action type. Just my .02
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    I've been a single shot collector and shooter for more than 40 years and own or have owned Pope, Schoyen, Peterson, and Neidner barrels, on Hi Wall, Ballard & Stevens 44 1/2 actions. I loved the process of finding the right combination of bullet design, alloy, lube, powder, primer, wad and all the rest, but when I was through, I was overjoyed with 5 shot 1/2" 100 yard groups. On the other hand I had an off the shelf Remington 700 Varmint model in .223 that shot 1/4 to 3/4" groups with the first 2 loads I tried in it. I have a .250 Savage in a Ruger 77 that shoots 1/2" groups with factory ammo.

In reality, the MOST accurate actions are typically found on SINGLE SHOT rifles (e.g like the Winchester Model 1885 high-wall, Sharps Borchardt, Ballard, etc.).
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aside from the single shot rifles, which can be tuned to fine accuracy, including the aforementioned Ruger #1's, the bolt action is stiffer than levers, pumps or semi-autos. The rigidity means strength and strength equals less movement of parts at the moment of firing. You will notice most benchrest bolt guns are also single shots, in that there is no magazine cut in the bottom of the receiver to take away rigidity and strength.

My .02 contribution.[:D]

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Bert- I agree that the High Wall is a very accurate rifle (see my article in Handloader's Digest from about eight years); my 22/30-30 Ack will but 55 grain Sierra SBTs into 1 inch at 200 yards, which is better than all but a small percentage of bolt actions; but I think the design of M98 based bolt actions has a greater potential for accuracy, but at that point we are really splitting hairs.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [quoteYes, it does have to be factory... just like my original high-walls are. Custom built bolt guns are no better than a custom built single-shot (which I also own a few of).

][/quote]

I hope the Sendero SF and VSSF still make the cut as factory[?][8D][:D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    [quoteYes, it does have to be factory... just like my original high-walls are. Custom built bolt guns are no better than a custom built single-shot (which I also own a few of).

]

I hope the Sendero SF and VSSF still make the cut as factory[?][8D][:D]

Got Balistics?

Yes they do make the cut (as does my Remington Model 700 BDL Varmint Special in 222 Rem Mag, and my Reminging Model 722 chambered in the same cartridge... couldn't tell that I like the 222 Rem Mag now could ya[?][:D]).

However, my most accurate rifle is actually a Model 1885 low-wall factory chambered in 25-20 S.S. (Single-Shot). With a Lyman No. 5B combination front sight, and a No. 2 tang sight, it shoots less than 1/2" at 100 yards... if I could only put a scope on it without destroying its collector value, I am absolutely positive that it will shoot them in the same hole. I also have a modified & scoped Model 1885 rechambered for 22 K-Hornet that shoots ragged 5-shot holes at 100 yards[^][^][^], but then again, so does my M700 in 222 Rem Mag. My only point in jumping into this post originally, was to simply point out that bolt guns are not alone on the accuracy list... and I never said that they were not accurate... quote:a bolt action rifle is NOT necessarily the MOST accurate design. In reality, the MOST accurate actions are typically found on SINGLE SHOT rifles [/quote]

Bert H.

• Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'VE GOT SINGLE SHOTS,AND I'VE GOT ACCURATE BOLT GUNS BUT SUPRIZINGLY ONE OF THE MOST CONSISTANTLY ACCURATE RIFLES IS A REMINGTON 7600 IN .243! IT'S NOT PICKY ABOUT LOADS AND WILL CUT A RAGGED FIVE SHOT GROUP EVERY TIME FROM THE BENCH![:)]

Dewayne E. Geer