In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Value of Quality Gunsmithing? and a story

TeleDetectiveTeleDetective Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
First the story:

Two years ago at Christmas I was visiting family in Topeka, KS. My father-in-law called up and said, "I'm gonna go test some loads I made for my .308, wanna come?" Now, understand, the first thing my father-in-law said to me when I showed up to take his daughter on a date was, "Wanna see my gun collection?" Then afterwards he showed me a shovel and the big empty field behind his house, and how far away any of the neighbors were, and then he said something about how I was a dirt-bag and he doubted anyone would truely miss me or look too hard for me or something like that, so I am really hesitant about going someplace alone with him and a gun, especially a rifle.

OK, that's a lie, he actually offered me a beer.

Back to our story. Being that I absolutely hate shooting, it was below freezing, and I am a south Texan who was out of his element I responed, "Sure, you picking me up?" (Because I was lying about hating shooting)

After printing about 7 or 8 different loads he asked, "So, how do you like that rifle?" Being that I am stupid and didn't pick up on the subtlity of the question, I responded with my usuall lack of tact and subtlity, "That was a lot of fun." So he surprised me with his next sentence, "I'll give it to you with one condition." Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciated the offer, but I'm not big on gifts with strings attached so I said in return, "No thanks."

Sorry, that was a lie, I actually said, "OK, what?" Buck, that's my father-in-law, said, "If you decide you no longer want it, ya have to give me a chance to take it back before you sell it." As this was unreasonable I told him, "Buck, that sure is nice of you, but I find your offer a bit unreasonable. Here's my counter offer..."

OK, that's another lie. I actually said, "Uh, sure, thanks." So I went home that Christmas with a new rifle for my collection.

The rifle is a Mossberg 800A, in .308 Win. I looked up the rifle in one of the gun digests and I know what the stock value is, however, this rifle isn't stock... Buck is a retired US Army Infantry Colonel, who once commanded the US Army's National Match Team. If I remember correctly he said something about having some special work done on it; floated the barrel, glass-beaded (bedded?)the action, trigger job (not a two stage, just about 2.5-3 lbs. And it shoots.

I mean it really shoots. I have placed several commercial loads into groups under 1" at 100 yrds. Sometimes I can get all three or four holes touching. It is sub-MOA.

If this rifle is stolen or destroyed by act of God... OK, stolen, 'cause God would never destroy something this gorgeous, what is reasonable replacement value for quality gun-smithing?

(Yeah, I know, I could call a couple gunsmiths and ask for quotes, but then you wouldn't have this great story to entertain yourself with)

S_Cline

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    read war and peace twice, to make my response equal in length to yours, then read my response...the gun is most likely going to be only valuable to a specific group who knows the army match team and or its members. odds are he had a specific armorer work on the gun. for instance, my guns were worked on by 'mr. dobber' the old navy armorer. anyone knowing him will know the quality of his work, otherwise its just a plain gun. your best bet would be to insure it for book value plus maybe 50%. if the gun has a history of winning certain events, maybe more. then again, it all depends on the buyer. if the gun goes thru life without documented wins or famous owners not famous yet, or not recorded, youre in a pinch. i say book plus 50%.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    TeleDetectiveTeleDetective Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks.

S_Cline