In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Removing Tokarov pistol import safety

gauche_but_honestgauche_but_honest Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Is it legal to remove the crappy import safety from these pistols? I figure if the half cock notch worked for the Russians and Chinese it's good enough for me. The safety doesn't function at all smoothly.

Comments

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it is legal to do so but it will kill what little value the gun has if you loose the safety.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gauche,

There are huge liability ramafications in removing a safety feature on a firearm...or tool, car, boat, lawnmower, etc. for that matter.

There is the "if" factor you need to consider. If you had an accident with the gun...or if someone else had an accident with it, and injury occured, how would it "appear" to a jury if it were found you intentionally removed a "safety" feature? Get the drift?

You will never find a (sober) gunsmith who will remove any safety from a gun. He knows his butt would be in a sling if...

My humble input,
    Rafter-S
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree That is why most pistol smiths will not remove the colt series 80 stuff when they build a match pistol. Even though these parts don't come into play unless you drop the gun some lawyer would love to say you removed the safety.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Very few custom pistolsmiths would choose a Series 80 as a platform, anyway.