In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt ACE

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi - have a colt ace service model sn sm27xxx with lanyard loop and no medallions in grips ........any idea of mfg date?

Comments

• HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    I have a colt ace with the serial #sm31805 in mint condition.My question is what is this gun worth? I have been told different things pertainig to this serial # in the book it estimates only 13,000 made so I need help. Thanks everyone who responds.
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a collection that contained a colt ace serial number 362. It is in vgc other then the fact is has been nickeled. any idea on value?
    edited November -1
    Anyone hear of a Colt Ace being made on the Argentine Colt equipment? I have an opportunity to pick it up but am confused as I thought only the Colt USA made them.
    edited November -1
    Recently puchased a Colt Ace. Any experience with this gun? Hope to try it out this weekend.
    edited November -1
    Please help! I have a Colt "Service Model" ACE .22lr. Serial #SMxxx79. This gun is all original and 99%+ condition. Can anyone give me an idea what the gun is worth. Thanks for your honesty.Jay
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Ace with Seriel # 78XX which I purchased in a collection. Where would I find information as to the year this weapon was built etc.?
  • rawgerrawger Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw an Argentine 1911 in .22 at a store in Avondale, Az. It was strange in that it said "11.25mm" on the slide, but it looked and functioned like an ACE.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello There have been many types of 1911 colt pistols that can shoot a 22 RIMFIRE round the first was an ACE this unit came mounted on a 1911 frame and DID NOT have a floating chamber and is not a conversion unit it will only work on a frame without an exjector. Then came the service ACE with serial number SM1-SM13803 it came as complete pistol or as a conversion unit.that had serial number on the unit U1-U2670. They both HAD a floating chamber These were all made BEFORE WW II. After the war you could only buy the conversion unit until in the 70's colt reintroduced the complete pistol as well as many different conversion units. The Argentine Government did buy COLT machinery and made some great 1911 type pistols the also made some conversion units Quality of these were hit and miss and I dont believe they were ever marked with the name ace. We would need pictures of the slide both sides to tell you what you have.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard of the "Argentine Ace" but do not know any details.
    There is some discussion and a link to another board at:
    http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=50422
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the info. Appreciate it.