In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.452 fn lead

silver salmonsilver salmon Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
a couple years ago someone had 255 gr Hornady .452 lead flatnose bullets on sale and I bought several boxes of them to load in my 45 colt with H110. Could I load them over 4.0 gr Bullseye for use in 45ACP?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might or might not feed, depending on the condition of the ramp and barrel throat on your pistol. If it does feed I would back off 1/2 grain to 3 1/2 grains maximum. My standard load from years back was 3.8 Grains of BE with a 200 Grain H & G target bullet. 4 Grains seems to be to hot a load shooting a 255 Grain bullet.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think you will find that to get the OAL short enough to allow you to load into a MAGAZINE the bullet will have to be seated VERY DEEP in the case . This may when combined with the small case capacity might give you very high pressure . you will need light powder charges.

Edit I don't know what use you have with the 45ACP However I think Plated bullets are a waste. I don't want to come across as single minded but I have loaded over 300,000 rounds of 45 acp in bullseye match shooting the largest % of then were STAR brand of Swaged 200 grain bullets I purchased these unlubed and of course they being swaged are out of soft pure lead. With the proper fit to bore .001 oversize at least and proper lube 50/50 you have no leading and side benefit make very good hunting bullets in Semi Wadcutter design The other bullets that I have loaded large amounts of are H&G 68 bb AND LYMAN 45266 I have done extensive testing with Ransom Rest and these all shoot better then ANY plated bullet The best bullet used to be NOSLER 185 grain jacketed hollow point But quality control has gone down and price has gone WAY up. If you need some brands of cast bullets that seem ok let me know. I also know a custom loader if you need match ammo. Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    silver salmonsilver salmon Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you both for your replys
    I just loaded 4 of these with 3.5 gr of Bullseye and they did feed /cycle at 1.20 OAL
    I have 2500 of these bullets an with using them solely in my 45 Colt Black Hawk it is going to be along time till they get used up.Thought I'd use them in the ACP if they worked until I can find a bulk sale of 200gr plated bullets at a fair price.