In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions about S & W classic revolvers

Ally51Ally51 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have inherited these two guns. A gun shop, but not an appraiser, said they were in excellent condition but needed to be cleaned. He thought they were probably Model 10s but did not see it stamped on it anywhere. On the barrel it says Classic Special. Do you know what I need to do to find out their worth or how old they are? I think they were purchased in the 60's or before.

They are blued and have a wood grain grip.

#1 38 Smith and Wesson C154551 Classic Special

#2 38 Smith and Wesson D275731 Classic Special

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you open the cylinder, you will see information stamped on the frame; let us know what that says.

You need to clean them so that you can tell us whether they are just dirty, or pitted.

And, photos are a must, since you weren't able to provide a complete description.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you could post quality photos of the revolvers, especially all visible markings.

That said, the "C" & "D" prefix series, S & W revolvers were made between the 40's and the 70's. Never seen any marked "Classic Special" on the barrel though?

About 8 years ago S & W made a short run of what they called "Heritage" revolvers, that were assembled at their Performance Center. It's remotely possible that these two revolvers your inquiring about are some of these?
  • Options
    Ally51Ally51 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I called my son-in-law, he is holding on to them for me. He said the nicer of two has MOD 10-5 stamped on the inside and it is a little dirty but not much use.

The second gun, older of the two, has R-44673 and it has a little bit of rust on it.

How do I post pictures?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my reference the "C" prefix gun was made in 1948. The "D" in the 1969/70, time frame. We would still need quality photos to help you with a valuation.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    OK..we're narrowing it down a bit. The "special" on the side of the barrels are the caliber of the gun..the bullets that's supposed to be used with them. They are marked .38 S&W SPECIAL CTG. (or very close)

For photo insertion into this post, there's an instruction tutorial listed at the top of this forum. Best, Joe

EDIT:
    Ally: please delete your failed attempts. Click on the little "trashcan" symbol that's on top. It will free up more space to keep on trying. We're only allowed ten responses on this forum. Best again, Joe
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ally's D-serial gun:

AllysSW11.jpg

This is the best she could do. All I can tell is that it appears to be a standard 4" barrel gun made in 1962. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson doesn't show any kind of "Classic" version; a letter from the factory authenicating it as their production could add substantially to the value. Otherwise, I would guess it is worth $300-350.

The C-serial gun is probably a Military & Police from the early 1950's. We really need to see high quality photos after it is cleaned up to even hazard a guess of value.

Neal