In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

indentify my Pre 1900 Colt DA

recshooterlouisianarecshooterlouisiana Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an older colt DA...pre 1900
I just want to identify it and maybe get it tuned...
It is a 41 LC. Gun has been reblued so I am not worried about
value just what year and info about this handgun
I paid 175 for it.

Here are some identifying marks.

Barrel Top markings:

COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO.
HARTFORD CT USA
Pat. AUG 5 84 NOV6 1888

barrel left side

COLT.D.A. 41

cylinder release is stamped with numbers 988
bottom of frame has

Any information will be appreciated.

Thomas

Comments

• Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody wants a photo.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serial number of your Colt is 12213 placing its date of manufacture at 1894 according to the Book of Colt Firearms.

The 988 stamped on the cylinder release is an assembly number.

I think you have what is termed the Model 1892 New Army Revolver, but others more knowledgeable about these double actions will be able to provide you with more/better information.

EDIT 1:

After reading rufe-snow's response I took another look at the Barrel Top Markings you listed and if they are documented correctly then they correspond to the Barrel Top Markings on a 3 inch barrel Model 1889 Navy Revolver per The Book of Colt Firearms and the serial number would track to 1891. I was somewhat hasty in my initial assessment.

If you could post pictures it would sure help us make a definitive identification, but after revisiting TBoCF I would agree with rufe-snow.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the patent dates on the barrel you either have a Colt Model 1889 or Model(s) 1894,96- revolvers. The difference is the 1889 has the locking slots on the back of the cylinder, while the later Model(s) have the locking slots on the outside of the cylinder.

It might not be cost effective to have it worked on, because of the cost of the ammo, and the skill needed to repair the lockwork on these older Colts.