In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Magnum Research BFR 45-70?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
edited January 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm going to be getting a Magnum Research revolver in 45-70 for deer/hog hunting and was wondering what size barrel (8" or 10") to get? I'd have shots out to 100-150yds.

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i have a 500 with the 7.5 and it still is big
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you are going big, I see no reason to stop short. The 10 inch barrel will help with performance slightly, but not nearly enough.

Best

EDIT:

What Hackshaw said was on my mind too. That S&W XVR 460 is extremely more versatile. Easier to mount a scope on for your long shots, and will generate better ballistics than the factory loaded 45-70 out of the handgun length barrels. You can also shoot 454 Casull's and 45 Long Colts in it.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the risk of suggesting something that wasn't asked about (that seems to offend some folks). If you havent already looked at, or considered the Smith X-Frame 8 3/8" .460, you should. I have quite large hands, and the M R grip is just unmanageable for me. Good Luck HAWKSHAW

NRA Endowment member
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I'd get the 10 inch for what you're useing it for.
    If you've wounded a bear and he's about to eat you, you should get the 8 incher, - easier to get out of the holster.
    I've shot 2 of them and if I ever buy one I'll never get rid of it.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a direct comparison, but I have a T/C Contender and have used a few 45/70 barrels. I have no problem shooting larger bore calibers out of handgun length barrels, spent today shooting 405 Winchester out of a 15" bbl.

Most factory 45/70 loads are pretty mild, Buffalo Bore being the exception. I reload and one of the heavier loads sends a 300 grain JSP from a 14" bbl at just over 2,000 fps. It's brutal out of a 12" barrel, tolerable out of a 14" bbl. So just a few inches can make a difference, I'd go with the 10" bbl.