In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recoil buffers?

stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
edited February 2009 in Ask the Experts
Posted this in GD, but only got cricket sounds in response.
Thought maybe some of the experts would have some input.

Someday I might have a couple of guns that would benefit from the installation of a recoil buffer, if I can believe some of what I read.
I'm thinking specifically of possibly purchasing a Russian SKS, Chinese (Poly Tech) AK 47 and a Ruger 9mm autoloader.
Anyone with experience using recoil buffers on any of these firearms?
I'd like to know:
Just what are the benefits, OR are they a waste of time and money?
Are there any particular brands or types of buffers I should look for or avoid?
Are the installations complicated?
Where's the best place to find them?

Thanks for any info provided.

Comments

• Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello. persoanlly, ive never used recoil buffers unless they came factory such as my mac-11. all the reading ive done on them says they can cause stoppages because they could deteriorate ( which they do ) or come loose in the action binding it up. just what benefits are you trying to achieve? i can tell you that ive owned and do own all 3 of the guns you mention, and have shot literally thousands of rds combined through them without a single problem. i cannot notice any appreciable wear that would have been avoided by a buffer. none of the guns have ever broken anything on them. the key is keeping your guns clean and lubricated. they will last forever if you do that.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I have one in my AK, FAL, SKS, AR15, and a Taurus pt92.

Not one stoppage in several thousand rounds, and I can feel a bit of a difference in the FAL and AK especially.

They are all buffer tech ones, and they do require replacement every 2-3k rounds.

I dont know if they make the gun last longer, but its cheap insurance, especially with Obama in office. If mine go south, I might not be able to get new ones.
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    quote:just what benefits are you trying to achieve?
    Just thinking like burpfire here.
    quote:I dont know if they make the gun last longer, but its cheap insurance, especially with Obama in office. If mine go south, I might not be able to get new ones.

Thanks you guys for the responses!
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have some in some of my guns. The number one thing to do is make sure YOUR gun works with them in. Some do, some dont. Also as it was said these are a wear part so make sure you keep an eye on them and replace BEFORE they fail.

I have them in all my M1A's just cause it cant hurt and mine function fine with them.

I have one in my suppressed 9mm AR since it reduces some of the action noise. Same with 2 of my 10/22's for the same reason. I put one in my PSL as I planed on running my suppressor with it too but have not shot it at all since I put the buffer in. I know in my PSL the bolt will not lock open with the buffer in it.

EDIT:

quote:Originally posted by COLT

..So...IMO, I think buffers are another novelty to help remove money from a shooters wallet, not to protect your gun...for semi handguns anyways...[;)]

I agree with you OTHER then my listed point above about use with suppressors. The noise from the 10/22 is almost cut in half with the use of a rubber/plastic buffer vs the stock metal one.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...What did we EVER do without these buffers, how did we keep our guns from being hammered into scrap?

...Semi handguns are my "thing"..but, semi rifles are close enough I'd think to compare, to a degree.

...A LOT of people have NO idea how to check to see if they have the correct recoil spring for the round they shoot, let alone how to change it. Unless you have the right spring in for say, a very hot round, you WILL hammer slide and frame; but, find the right spring for that "hot" round and your good to go, change the spring to the correct one when shooting milder rounds, simple.

..So...IMO, I think buffers are another novelty to help remove money from a shooters wallet, not to protect your gun...for semi handguns anyways...[;)]

Nwcid...agreed, but I took his question as an "in general" vs specific...most shooters are using buffers for shock absorbtion, not for quietening their gun in conjuction with the use of a can...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I can only speak for one Firearm But like old colt stated a RECOIL BUFFER in a pistol that was NOT designed to have one IMHO is one of the worst modifications you can install on at least a 1911 TYPE pistol. a spring to match the load IS the way to go.#1 Buffers can and do break up and cause jams. #2 Buffers do not allow a slide to fully cycle and can cause the slide stop to batter the slide stop notch because it does not have time to come all the way up after the last round. #3 this same lack of a full cycle of the slide 'THICKNESS of the BUFFER" will shorten the time for the cartridge in the magazine to fully rise against the magazine lips and Will cause feed problems. With that said IF a firearm comes with a buffer be it pistol rifle or shotgun then it was designed that way and I HAVE NO BEEF WITH THEIR USE in those firearms.