In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

C R Pedersen & Son rifle builder

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Just picked up a very nicely done 1917 Enfield made into a 300H&H mag. All it says on the top center of the barrel is 300 H&H Magnum and C R Pedersen & Son. The guy I got the rifle from said he thought he was from Texas. I have no idea where he came up with that.
This is a very well gun smithed rifle, a lot of very nice, subtle custom toughs.
So, does any one know anything about this guy? If his other work is anything like this rifle, he should be famous.
Thanks for looking.
W.D.

Google is your friend.
I don't know how they figured it was Texas, but, found the correct information.
C R Pedersen & Son
Ludington, MI

2717 S Pere Marquette Hwy
Ludington MI 49431-9701

(231) 843-2061
Just listed this rifle on the auction side, here is the link.
http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=505425652

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Sounds Good. Which Enfield, any way of dating the work?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.manta.com/c/mm7xp80/c-r-pedersen-son

Maybe it was built for someone in Texas.

Can you post some pic's? I enjoy looking at custom work.

Rex's work Wow http://www.fega.com/memberwebpages/masterdetail.asp?recidparam=403

cut and pasted
    In 1938, C.R. Pedersen started a business in Chicago with his son manufacturing twirling and directing batons and musical instruments. Upon his discharge from the armed services, his son Rich started a gun shop in Ludington, Michigan. He offered many custom services to many customers as well as other dealers.Many gunsmiths and manufacturers used the famous REX brand engine tuning fixtures, drill jigs and front sights.

Growing up in the gun business Rich's son, Rex performed many gunsmithing operations.
    In 1978, he decided to try his hand at firearms engraving. Since then he has received" Professional" status from the Firearms Engravers Guild of America.

In 1996 he received the Smith & Wesson "Masterpiece Award" for the finest engraved Smith & Wesson handgun. In 1999, he received the Beretta "Award of Distinction". This award, recognizes a FEGA engraver who has exhibited both excellence and uniqueness of design.
    At present, he as also serves as President of the Guild.
    His work has appeared in Guns magazine, Shooters Bible, Modern Custom Guns, Custom Firearms Engraving as well as other publications. He recently engraved the #16 ACGG Guild rifle, "The Whitetail, a tribute".
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    wow PUT ME DOWN ON WANTING TO SEE PICTURES WD
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I heard about them in the '60's when living in MI.
    Was going to have a '03-A3 built and was told they were the best.
    Found a like new '43 bayonet for it changed my mind [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As soon as the sun comes back out, I'll post some pictures, it is a beautiful rifle. Not gaudy, just very elegant. The rifle has a Tasco scope on it, I shot it, and it'll shoot -1" with loads I had laying around for my model 70. I'm going to list it on the auction side, without the scope. I'll post pictures here before I do.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    Sounds Good. Which Enfield, any way of dating the work?

Eddystone.
    W.D.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Pederson shop was well known among Michigan gun buffs for very high quality work. Even here in the state you see very few at the gunshows. It's possible your action is a P14 to more easily accommodate the larger head size of the 300 H&H.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    a friend of mine inherited an Eddystone about a year ago. He did a great deal of research on it and the Eddystone Locomotive Works. His was made after the Armistice in early 1919, so the workmen weren't under pressure to produce, so it appears to be a very high quality rifle. sounds like your is too.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is a nice rifle- That serial number would indicate very late/ possibly post WWI production, and the checkering looks great. I may have to put a bid on that one.[:)]