In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How far does shot carry?

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
..Specifically, no. 7 1/2 trap loads. Just one of those things I take for granted but don't really know. At optimum angle, how far will the shot carry? I have pipeline workers 1/2 mile away and I "know" they're safe, but I wonder.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    ..Got the answers over on GD. Thanks anyway...[^]
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I got hit with a couple when I was a kid, must have been over 150 yards away. Didn't hurt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    I got hit with a couple when I was a kid, must have been over 150 yards away. Didn't hurt.

..Same here. I heard it ping on the tractor hood but they didn't
    leave a mark on me. I saw him swing on a pheasant. He got his
    butt chewed, good and proper.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think, as mentioned above, there is a difference between how long shot carries in terms of possible maximum distance a pellet can travel, and how long it retains enough energy to actually cause injury.

I think the conventional wisdom is that normal bird-shot is "safe" after about 200 yards. As a matter of practice, even if the shot can't really cause injury at that distance, you'd really rather NOT have pellets falling down where maybe they "shouldn't". EG, even if there isn't any injury, someone could get annoyed, panic, and there could be problems.

You'd probably have a hard time getting any individual birdshot pellet to go more than 300 yards, let alone cause injury at that range. Half a mile (ie >800 yards) and whomever is downrange should be more than safe, unless they wander WAY away from where they're supposed to be.

As some sort of real world example, I've seen a duck hit by normal #7.5 shot at a range of only about 65 yards (no. . .I wasn't the shooter. . .the duck was sort of an "innocent bystander" of a shot directed elsewhere!). Duck appeared annoyed, but it didn't die and kept swimming!

I'd add one more thing. Sometimes you have "trick" shooters breaking clays at "extreme" distances (ie greater than 70 yards). While that certainly can be done, its worth noting that clays are BY DESIGN fairly fragile. EG, you can break one with just a good tap. Just because a pellet can break a clay at a given distance, doesn't necessarily mean its going to cause serious (or any) injury to a person at that same distance.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got hit with birdshot at about 75yds and it hurt like hell, only things that saved me from an afternoon of bourbon and Bactine was my canvas jacket and boonie hat [:(!]
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KAMsales
    Got hit with birdshot at about 75yds and it hurt like hell, only things that saved me from an afternoon of bourbon and Bactine was my canvas jacket and boonie hat [:(!]

Thanks for the info KAM. Looks like I'll be selling my canvas jacket[;)]
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    quote:Originally posted by KAMsales

Thanks for the info KAM. Looks like I'll be selling my canvas jacket[;)]

Don't do that, the Bactine tastes horrible and doesn't give ya much of a buzz [:o)]
  • Options
    mikeberrymikeberry Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is an old rec.guns newsgroup post titled "00 buckshot ballistics and death (LONG)" by Henry E. Schaffer at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.guns/GrmrHcHVfY8

It _is_ long, but well worth reading, because the analysis is good and the conclusions are striking. Here are two paragraphs:

"A posting said two men were hit by 00 buckshot at a measured distance of 155 yards. On man was hit in the throat and killed, the other was hit in the leg and injured. (Each man was presumably hit by a single pellet.) The question was whether this was reasonable? How hard would 00 buck hit at that distance? "
    ... (much analysis and reference to literature)

"Because of safety reasons the extreme range of a shotgun should be known. The distance to which the pellets will range depends on the size, that is the weight of the pellet, and on the angle of elevation of the gun. As with the rifle, the extreme range occurs when the barrel is elevated at an angle of about thirty degrees. At this angle large buckshot, round balls, and rifled slugs, when fired at a muzzle velocity of 1300 f.s., which is about the average, should be assumed to have a range of about 900 to 1,000 yards and to be more or less dangerous at these distances."

I was surprised, at both the 155 yard deaths and the 1,000 yard dangerous range.
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a few #6's that skipped off the water under my hide, the shooter was about 50-60yds. away. I got hit with some #BB's from maybe 125 yds... they stung, but none stuck in. I broke a (sitting) crow's wing at a measured 110 yds. with #2's, the second shot at about 1/2 way killed him, (10ga. mag. shells).
  • Options
    deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, and cheap #6's is good,good,good on whitetails,under 30 yds. in the ribs only.