In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Makarov fair buying price.

dmitriyvdmitriyv Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hi.
I,m C&R license holder , and would like to buy a Russian Military Makarov , or East German , in good condition. Prices all over the place in GB. Would you recommend Bulgarian instead ?
What would be ,, a fair price ,, to pay ?
Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to find the fair price is for a specific model in a specific condition, look at the COMPLETED listings, sorted by the HIGHEST NUMBER OF BIDS. The actual selling price of a completed sale is probably the same as the "fair" price.

I think that the German & Bulgarian bring the highest prices, as there are collectors willing to pay a high price for them. Probably the Czech CZ-82 is the best buy.

You may have a difficult time finding a seller willing to ship to a C&R. I suggest that you get on the AIM Surplus mailing list, as they often have this type gun, & ship at a reasonable price.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay away from the Russian commercial Makarov's, with the adjustable rear sight. These weren't nearly the quality of the ex G.I. pistols. Owned one a number of years ago, that must have been a Friday afternoon or Monday morning gun. Supposedly it was a .380, but the chamber was reamed so badly in manufacture. That the brass cases were elliptical in cross section. Totally unreloadable.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    This one sold for $560, with holster wear.http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=495435276

Mines in like new and I will not sell for that [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    If you want to find the fair price is for a specific model in a specific condition, look at the COMPLETED listings, sorted by the HIGHEST NUMBER OF BIDS. The actual selling price of a completed sale is probably the same as the "fair" price.

I think that the German & Bulgarian bring the highest prices, as there are collectors willing to pay a high price for them. Probably the Czech CZ-82 is the best buy.

You may have a difficult time finding a seller willing to ship to a C&R. I suggest that you get on the AIM Surplus mailing list, as they often have this type gun, & ship at a reasonable price.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you , Neal.

quote:Originally posted by nmyers

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with you.
    Thank you.

quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Stay away from the Russian commercial Makarov's, with the adjustable rear sight. These weren't nearly the quality of the ex G.I. pistols. Owned one a number of years ago, that must have been a Friday afternoon or Monday morning gun. Supposedly it was a .380, but the chamber was reamed so badly in manufacture. That the brass cases were elliptical in cross section. Totally unreloadable.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CZ-82 isn't actually a Makarov even though it does shoot the 9mm Makarov round. I don't like them too much when compared to a "true" Makarov. I've owned over 20 Makarovs and I feel that the East German ones are the best, followed by Russian military , then Bulgarian military and commercial, then finally the Chinese military. I don't like the Russian commercial ones as the metal finish is poor and the adjustable sights that were added to add import points spoil the gun's looks, can get out of adjustment, and catch on clothing. Makarovs aren't very popular in my area and even East German ones can be purchased for under $400 if you
    look around for a while. The best buys are usually the Bulgarian military and commercial Arsenal brand models. I've bought several for $275-$300. The Polish P-64 is another gun that shoots the 9mm Makarov cartridge but like the CZ variant, it's not a "Makarov" either.