In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A GLOCK question.....No laughing or

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
smart-* comments (Well, I guess some have to be expected)

Is there really a demand by Glock "Collectors" for older generation
magazines ?? I bought a shoebox full of Glock Mags, mostly brand new soon after the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 expired in 2004. The guy that owned them was dumping his supply of them as the price really dropped off when the ban expired.....They are just sitting there in the box and if they have more value than just a range mag, I want to move them on....

There are some listed on the auction side for several times the price of newer ones...So I don't care if they are of no value to you, but is there truly a collector's market for them ?....

Thanks for the input....I look forward to your collective wisdom and sage advice

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new magazines are capable of being used in the old and new model Glocks and can be had for as low as $20.00 to $25.00.

I am unaware of any premium on older Glcok magazines. You may want to register with Glocktalk and ask in the Glock Collectors forum.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct magazines can be worth a lot to the right person. I think you should at least 5 magazines for anything. 10 years back I paid $45 for a new in the wrapper Hi Standard HD Military magazine. It was 5th one acquired over 2 years of looking.

Issue magazines for a 1911 WWI are getting a premium.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st & 2nd generation mags are not "drop free", unlike 3rd & 4th generation mags. I would expect shooters with earlier guns to pay a premium for later mags.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This was what got me asking the question. I looked up some closed auctions and he got these prices.

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Preban+Glock+magazine
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Artificially high price due to state laws. Asking price doesn't always translate into a selling price.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    YES SIR [;)]
    I sold the two that came with my 19 that was bought in '93 for $100.
    And three first generation with the "U" shape opening in back to a collector for $90 each.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While the FEDERAL Clinton gun ban has expired, similar State level ones have not.

High cap mags are still banned in many states. EG, in MA, you're not allowed to "import" new ones.

In those states "pre-ban" mags can carry a premium, and that's why yours may have extra value. . .to the right buyer.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Beantown, has stated, there are states who still have a ban, but pre-ban magazines are grandfathered in to be acceptable...except in one instance that I know of...New York. The SAFE ACT, has eliminated any grandfathering of weapons, or magazines, that are pre-ban.

In those states, pre-ban magazines, will sometimes bring a 100-200% premium, depending on which generation, and the condition they are in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the input. I appreciate it. !!!!
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur, living in a ban state. Since they're not dated and come from the era when high capacity mags were still allowed, there isn't any way to say that they weren't bought back then and were grandfathered in when the ban took effect.

Buyers here still are not legally allowed to buy them since the ban was enacted, so this is the way they get around the ban. For this reason old mags for any pistol do produce a premium here in Ca.