In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

REMINGTON 550

gricegrice Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Anyone familiar with this rifle? I just bought one on GB and the seller stated it shot just fine but after taking it to try it out I discovered it wont feed and it appears that the carrier isnt rising up enough for the bullet to enter the chamber. Ive torn it down including the floating chamber and cleaned up everything with kerosene and wuite a lot of dirt came out as the kerosene turned almost black. Tried to cycle a few more rounds and the same problem exists. Question, since this is a 550 with the bolt having two extractors can i replace the bolt and carrier using 550-1 parts, also any ideas as to what my problem might be before i spend money on these parts??

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have owned this since 1970 (my first new gun) and don't know how to take it apart for cleaning. I want to know how to remove the bolt.
    Also, can the trigger be lightened?
    TIA
    Dan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine has a Rem. Model 550 .22 rifle that extracts, but won't eject. My Firearms assembly/disassembly books don't list an ejector. Anyone out there familiar with this gun? Is the extractor part of some other assembly or what??? Thanks!!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good luck, believe it or not on You Tube. Lot of folks post good info, on fixing obscure gun problems. Give it a try, what you got to lose? Use a search term of, "Remington 550", or something similar.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    I've had good luck, believe it or not on You Tube. Lot of folks post good info, on fixing obscure gun problems. Give it a try, what you got to lose? Use a search term of, "Remington 550", or something similar.
    Thanks, I tried that but found nothing that represents my problem.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weak springs or worn working surfaces is were I would start. Perhaps a burr developed on an edge from hammering. Examine all the part with a good hand lens. Pay attention to parts/surfaces that due the lifting. Be sure the lifter isn't canting and hanging up. Look at pins and holes for wear.

If it was shot a lot full of crud, then cleaning it out can make fit sloppy. Peening in the right places to tighten things up can work temporarily. Welding in fill and refitting/forming or bushing the holes is the solution.

Added Look for bright spots on surfaces. Shiny spots are a indication of drag points. Dye Chem or a magic marker is also helpful. JB Weld on a worn cam surface is the easy way to test what amount of build up is required. Lip stick is helpful too.

Welcome to Gunsmithing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie, that makes sense to me. When manually working the bolt back and forth I can sometimes feel it dragging on something. If it's an extractor problem I'm not sure I can find the parts as this is the older 550 not the 550-1. I'm told those parts are hard to find. You're for sure on to something I have no doubt since I can feel the bolt rubbing on something .
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One or two of my favorite .22s are my 550s 550-1.[^] I have seen some fired so much that when finally cleaned are so sloppy, out of round bolts from wear, that going into battery can be problematic.
    Several great responses on the thread, the couple that I have repaired to function I have peened the bolt riding surfaces, then used white lithium grease. The real problem then can be the need to clean more often because of the heavier lubricant.
    I believe charliemeyer007 has spent some time with this fine rifle and knows how to keep them running.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Many thanks, brings me to another question, mine is the model 550 not the 550-1. will the parts from a 550-1 fit in my rifle? Im thinking of putting in a 550-1 bolt and carrier etc. I undestand that parts like extractors from the 550 bolt are pretty hard to find now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the bolts are different because the 550-1 has the ejector in the reciever.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Right but will the 550-1 bolt run ok in the 550 reciever, i know the 550 bolt has two extractors and I think the ejector is built in in the 550 as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the bolts are different and are not a drop fit to work.
    here is an auction for lifter assembly, ask frank if he has the other parts also for the 550

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=508300835
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1