In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt 1851 BlackSmith Modified

ColtMikeColtMike Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1851 Colt Manufactured 1863--Black Smith Modified
It has All Matching Serial Numbers

Would like to know if the Fact that it has All Matching Serial Numbers
make its Value More ? Also would like an Approx.Value for Insurance
and Possible Sale or Auction

Comments

• thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Photos would help. What did the blacksmith modify?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_1851_Navy_Revolver

All matching numbers helps value. Modifications do not usually add value. Condition is everything, so is original parts.

Good well lit in focus pic's if you want more than a ball park guesstamite of value.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • ColtMikeColtMike Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt was Purchased around 1940 by my Father, Do not know Black Smith
    that Modified it---Modified from Cap and Ball to maybe paper cartridge ? will post Pictures on my Web Sitehttp://www.getawards.com/page58.html
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ColtMike
    Colt was Purchased around 1940 by my Father, Do not know Black Smith
    that Modified it---Modified from Cap and Ball to maybe paper cartridge ? will post Pictures on my Web Site

Matching numbers don't increase its value but mismatched numbers would make it worth less.

Please post a link to your pics.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be aware there were a number of Conversion very well engineered for colt Muzzle loading pistols While BLACKSMITH modified would In MY opinion reduce the value Some of the factory type conversions can increase the value some well known but rare conversions can be very rewarding to the seller With a way to look at pictures of your pistol we can give you a valid IDEA of what you have
    EDITI agree with Ruff Snow The pidtures are no where near the quality to determine a value Do your self a long time favor and look at some of the items From seller LOCUST FORK these are the types of pictures we need we need to be able to read every marking and remove the replacement cylinder and take pictures Of any marks on that as well as the Hammer itself with close up of the firing pin part of the hammer.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears that the cylinder is a complete replacement. My opinion is that the value is 50% of an original. Original value = $1500 and that may be somewhat low in todays market. It is an interesting piece.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are your photos. They don't cut-it! You need to take very detailed close-up photos. For identification and valuation purposes.

wp73675af7_0f.jpg

wpf8f26317_0f.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Be aware there were a number of Conversion very well engineered for colt Muzzle loading pistols While BLACKSMITH modified would In MY opinion reduce the value Some of the factory type conversions can increase the value some well known but rare conversions can be very rewarding to the seller With a way to look at pictures of your pistol we can give you a valid IDEA of what you have
    EDITI agree with Ruff Snow The pidtures are no where near the quality to determine a value Do your self a long time favor and look at some of the items From seller LOCUST FORK these are the types of pictures we need we need to be able to read every marking and remove the replacement cylinder and take pictures Of any marks on that as well as the Hammer itself with close up of the firing pin part of the hammer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    http://www.getawards.com/page58.html
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one that was an aftermarket modification and it brought Blue Book value for it's condition, which is to say that it probably brought less than one in original factory condition.
    What's next?
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ColtMike --- http://www.getawards.com/page58.html these two pics show no detail.
    It appears to be an interesting revolver BUT..
    The pics are just not good enough for anyone here to give you a proper evaluation.

It appears to be an interesting revolver , if you want more informed opinions, please do post CLEAR,CLOSEUP, pics and more the just a couple of side views. Otherwise all you will get are WAGS.