In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ammo examination

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
this turkey wanted to sell me 30 rounds of ammo for 20 bucks. I said eh. after a bit he said okay 35 for 20 bucks. I bought them.

that is, I paid for them, took the box home, then looked at them.

wouldn't you know it, but 5 rounds look crimped behind the bullet. 1 or 2 pretty badly.

keeping in mind that .40 is prone to overpressure, I was wondering if y'all think they look ok or should I just chuck them.

(far right is an average round from the rest of the box)

mZe4ab6.jpg
aYp3VH0.jpg
9h7GVW7.jpg

last pic is out of focus, but I guess it helps see the crimps.

I was suspicious that they were reloads, because although they came in the box (35 out of 50) all the cases had ring-marks around them, longitudinal scratches like from loading/unloading from magazine, but, I didn't see any dings or chips from where they would have hit cement after they were shot. and after all, they do have the correct bullet. I figured they just been in and out of a magazine a few times.

guys, tell me I wasn't a sucker and bought reloads....

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps it can be billed as a learning experience, to not buy handloads from a source you know nothing about. Better yet, not even take them for free.

EDIT 1
    quote:I do not see any evidence of them being reloads; at least not from once fired cases. Nor can I explain what caused the neck dents and scratches.

You cannot see the fine vertical lines on the cases that indicate being resized?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look crappy to me. Dialing in a set of dies can produce 2nds that look like that. If I loaded them I would shoot them without much concern but I would also expect malfunctions.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not see any evidence of them being reloads; at least not from once fired cases. Nor can I explain what caused the neck dents and scratches.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO!! Nyet!! No way no how!! Not worth blowing up your gun or you. I have guys who pick up ammo left on the range by someone unknown to shoot. I learned the hard way" you do not shoot ammo that you're not sure of".
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't shoot those even if I knew they were not reloads. Those rounds have had a rough life, and are, IMO, good for nothing but the bullet itself.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that they look like reloads and I don't shoot anybody's reloads but my own - then it's on me if something goes bad. If it were me, I would break them down for components and start from there. It would be interesting to see how consistent the powder charges are from case to case.