In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7 mm - 08 ammo

gnwells26@gmail.comgnwells26@gmail.com Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello
I have some 7mm-08 ammo that are all brass shells with a red point tip on the end of the bullet. Can anyone tell me the manufacture of this ammo. Thanks,
Gary

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gnwells26@gmail.com,

Nosler 7mm Ballistic Tips are red but so are all of the Hornady AMAX and VMAX bullets.

Best.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gnwells26@gmail.com
    Hello
    I have some 7mm-08 ammo that are all brass shells with a red point tip on the end of the bullet. Can anyone tell me the manufacture of this ammo. Thanks,
    Gary

It might help if you could describe the markings on the case head.

If you're "lucky", the answer will be written right there.

Edit, responding to below:
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    If they are reloads, the headstamp won't tell you anything. As the major manufacturers, sell their same bullets for reloading. Only a close up photo of a "pulled" bullet. Could possibly be identified?
    The assumption is that these are loaded factory rounds.

If they're reloads, all bets are off. Sort of a specific provenance, NOBODY is going to be able to tell who loaded them, nor to what spec.

The conventional wisdom is for safety reasons not to shoot other people's reloads. . .certainly not "unknown" ones.

I guess the next question is, you've got a bunch of loose 7mm-08 rounds. WHERE DID THESE COME FROM?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they are reloads, the headstamp won't tell you anything. As the major manufacturers, sell their same bullets for reloading. Only a close up photo of a "pulled" bullet. Could possibly be identified?