In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

EAA 380 repair

outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
Trying to find out if it's worth it to get an EAA 380 repaired. Older gun, has been used on a shooting range and took quite a bit of use may need a new barrel and the spring is worn which wouldn't cost much but by the time I bought a new barrel (the one on it looks gouged) it might not be worth the money spent. Not an expensive gun to begin with but I thought I might fix it up and keep it. Any info appreciated thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A new spring should be cheap, a barrel might need fitted. A gouge might be from an underpowered spring for the pressure level of the ammo being shot. The gouge might be fixable.

I would fix it myself if it were mine.

Added It looks worth fixing, at least an inspection/estimate on the price.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    sorry but please explain what you call GOUGED[?][?] modern steel in a barrel should last 100,000 rounds are you sure it is not just a build up bullet fouling because of lack of Cleaning as often as you need to.

EDITOK after reading NUNN's post as well as yours I have to ask this question . How well do you know the person who told you about the problems on your pistol [:(] This sounds like something that a car dealer would tell my wife when she took her car in for state safety inspection.VERY few Pistols are ever worn out and I have neve seen what I would call a Gouged barrel
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it functions properly, keep it. Please explain / define a "worn spring and gouged barrel."
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,003 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't have an answer for you, but it is GOOD to hear from you, ma'am!
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Hello Mr. Nunn, yes I am still alive and well in Cowtown :) nice to see you too. Hope you are well.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I was told it is 'gouged' inside the barrel but I confess I didn't know quite what that meant either. Outside looks fine and it's a nice little gun - but I can see from the auctions on GunBroker not an expensive one so didn't know whether it would be worth spending a lot to get it repaired and it has been used in a shooting range for some years so it's likely been heavily used...

So next question - who in Fort Worth can I trust to work on it - and thanks again everyone!
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    outdoortexas,

Is your "EAA 380" like this Tanfoglio/ FIE Titan (also sold as an EAA gun)?:

pix342599898.jpg

pix451915237.jpg

...or is it like this Tanfoglio/ EAA Pavona?:

pix290181951.jpg

++++++++++++++

&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    edited November -1
    The person who said the barrel was messed up was not someone who should have tried any shenanigans BUT might not actually know what he was seeing. I never heard of gouged barrel myself but then maybe his terms and mine for the word are not the same.

I'm thinking of taking it to Panther City their gunsmith has a good rep as honest and fair and good at his job. If anyone has counter information on that give me a heads up and thanks.

Not a great pic but this is the gun

eaa.jpg
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie that's what I think - as long as I can get it repaired or whatever without it costing an arm and leg :) I know it needs a really good cleaning and the spring shouldn't cost much -
    edited November -1
    well for anyone interested I took the gun to Panther City Firearms and their gunsmith says there's not one thing wrong with it - it doesn't even need a new spring all is good only needs a good cleaning which is going to be done... so we live and learn and we learn not to listen to just anyone about some things...

thanks guys for all your help!