In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope recommendation

The JaegerThe Jaeger Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
Does anybody have a good recommendation for a mid to long range scope for a Sako 75 in .300 Win Mag? I hear good things about Nightforce, but have no experience with them.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi all,

Looking for a scope recommendation for a new Savage .270. Thinking about moving a T/C 3-9x42 from the muzzle loader for a hunt coming up in the spring. Hate to be moving scopes back and forth. Seems I'd always want it where it isn't!

The dilemma is that for the heck of it I looked through a 3-9x50 Zeiss! I was a bit surprised by the lack of glare from the lights and the great clarity. For a $150 T/C scope, I can maybe see buying another. But for about $500, it is more than the rifle cost and will draw attention from the wife!

Any recommendations?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for scope recommendations for a Tikka 12 gauge over 222 Remington for turkey and coyote hunting.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been doing the same with drillings for years. scope of low power, heavy reticle,
    large light gathering objective, has proven worth. consider investment in return to
    zero detachable mount. tikka have iron sights?
    the actual make and model of scope depends on your front objective lens clearance and eye relief which is govern by the mount. A break open action with a shotgun tang usually puts the scope further
    from the eye than a bolt action, which most scopes are pattern after.
    careful that the adjustment turret fits between the saddle rings.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a vintage Redfield 2-7x (round view, not widefield) on mine with good results.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    most often due to distance of eye to scope you are required to mount a
    scope with a straight no bell objective lens. this lets you slide it back further.
    and when you use a high mount for a large lens to clear then your face is off
    the stock and requires a cheek piece. keep in mind there are many fine red dot or reflective sights offered, go as low in height as possible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    your question of scope choice is important because it influences the advantages
    of a combination firearm. to realize the full advantage you need to think of your tikka
    as a "shotgun with a rifle as back up" . if you fit your tikka as a "rifle with a shotgun
    backup" with a scope permanently mounted you are going to miss out on a lot
    of close action. rare is the combination firearm that will throw a shotgun pattern to the
    center of the sighted rifle scope reticle. rare is the individual who can throw a shotgun pattern on a moving close target with a rifle scope in his view. that is why i am in favor of
    a detachable scope and or reflex sight. should a rifle shot present itself you have time
    to make the attachment, not possible if a shotgun target is presented.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I hunt with Valmets model 412 I use my own mounts MADE FROM burris steel 22 RIMFIRE RINGS I HAVE THREE DIFFERENT MBarrel sets
    243 under 12ga 3inch 30/06 under 12ga 3inch and 9.3 X 74R under 12 ga 3inch all three are scoped the 243 is 3x9 redfield 30/06 and 9.3 X 74 both 2 X 7 strange thing I have killed two turkeys in heavy rain walking out the woods to get back to my truck .I had section of intertube over the scope to keep out rain Both turkeys flushed at different hunts and both were on the wing 25-30 yards never even noticed scope was covered until after the shot as I hunt with both eyes open even with a scoped gun .
    \EDIT just read some other posting as I was typing The valmet allows the owner to adjust the barrels so they both work with point of aim the same with one scope [^] I also installed Double triggers on the one I hunt with the most . It helps that I grew up with SXS shotguns 60 years ago
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Weaver K2 on a Russian Remington 12 ga. over .223. 3 weaver rimfire rings hold it fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Going with a Leupold Varix1, 1-4x shotgun scope. Thanks again for your input.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    your welcome.
    combination firearms are often overlooked and not produced in this country, and yet the
    norm in europe. only problem is once you get proficient all
    your other guns sit idle in the cabinet.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    jaegermister YOU ARE 100 % CORRECT. I LOVE MY 412 SYSTEM with adjustable left to right and up & down between each barrel let you TUNE for different weight bullets in the rifle barrel