In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Unopened 1,000 round case of 4/1965 45acp 1911

KrootsieKrootsie Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello,

Came across a real odditity.

As the description says, it's an unopened 1,000 case of 45cap 1911 ball.

Not sure how to read the label, so will include a link to pictures when I can.

Value?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard 45 ball ammo, shoot it.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Just on shooting value alone it would be worth $300-350 but if a collector was looking for such a case for display or whatever, it could have more value.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an arsenal re-pack of ammo made earlier. My guess is that it is boxes of 50 rounds, originally manufactured in the 1950's. Re-packed by Augusta Arsenal?

I would expect it to sell for $.40-.50 per round. If it doesn't sell in the pack, you may have better luck selling a few boxes at a time.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Neal.

I just happened to find 4 boxes with the same lot number that's on the crate, and the cartridges are also 65 on the bottom of the shells. FC 65. Federal Cartridge 1965. As I need to sell, roughly .50 a round is the going rate for 1965 FC?

I also have a bix of 61 Remington also and another 4 boxes of Federal with a slightly less lot number, also 1965.

1,400 rounds total.

Thanks.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    They were making Good ammo back then IMHO better quality control Then what they are making today. When I was team captain for Va. DCM team We were given some match Ball for practice but also allowed to purchase More I have a number of cases of Match Ball Have not shot any since 2005 and now not much call for it because CMP allows just about any pistol and caliber of ammo to be shot in the EIC HARD BALL Matches [:(]
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    .50 a round is $25.00 a box.....

Walmart sells fresh ball ammo for a hair less. I'd say that .35 - .40 per round is the sellable price.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

This is an interesting post to me because at one time I lived about 2 blocks south of Augusta Arsenal in the Summerville neighborhood of Augusta Georgia.

The arsenal was originally built in about 1816 on the Savannah River. Malaria and other insect borne diseases killed most of arsenal personnel so it was moved to what is now referred to as the "the hill" area of Augusta in about 1826 or 1827. It served as a confederate arsenal in the War Between the States (Civil War). What is left of the old arsenal is currently located on the grounds of Georgia Regents University or as the locals like to call it Augusta State University. It is now called Payne Hall on the campus. I have an unused specimen of an Augusta Arsenal refurbished M1917 rifle which is of great importance to me.

What is not correct about the ammunition crate which is supposed to be packed with FC 65 headstamped ammunition is the Augusta Arsenal was closed in 1955! Therefore, the FC 65 ammunition cannot be the original repacked ammunition because it would have to be headstamped prior to 1955. The ammunition in the crate should be of Korean War vintage or earlier if repacked by Augusta Arsenal.

Maybe the original ammunition contained within the crate was used and then re-repacked with a later lot of ammunition elsewhere than Augusta Arsenal? Maybe some one shot-up all the original ammunition and then made a substitute label to reflect the date of the FC 65 replacement ammo? Maybe 4/65 in the photo has nothing to do with the date?? If 4/65 is the date then the label is not original or it is a typo???

Best

Heavyiron
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks HeavyIron.

Apparently, the best thing for me to do is crack open the case and see what we have.

The mystery is like Al Capone's vault. ;)
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,063 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope you don't find Geraldo in there![:0]