In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

model 94 flat band info please

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
When was the flat band made, and how does it play into a guns value? Thanks in advance.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Todd,
    1948-49 I think, I sold a flat band 32 Special earlier this year. Unless the rifle is in really great, collector worthy condition, the flat band doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in value. That has been my experience anyway. Bert will be along and expand on my answer, I'm sure.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todd,

Winchester began production of the "Flat-band" very near serial number 1373600 (approximately April 1946), and it ran through serial number 1547300 (late 1948). In total, approximately 136,000 of them were made, and in calibers 25-35 WCF, 30 WCF, and 32 WS. Thus far, I have recorded 1,246 of them in my research survey... they are by no means "rare" as some dealers/sellers try to convince you. I am planning to write a future article specifically about the Model 94 Flat-band Carbines, and it will dispell a good number of urban myths.

In regards to the collector value, No, there is no real premium associated with the flat-barrel band, though there are some dealers/sellers who believe otherwise. It is the graded condition of the gun that will dictate the collector value.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome, thanks WD and Bert.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the owner of 154970x with the standard band, I'm curious about as to why was the flat band made, any shareable insight ?

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    I'm the owner of 154970x with the standard band, I'm curious about as to why was the flat band made, any shareable insight ?

Contrary to popular belief, it had nothing to do with supporting the WW II production efforts. It is my belief that it was simply a time & cost savings production change. It is easier and faster to mill a flat surface than it is a rounded (radiused) surface.