In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1897

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
Hello, I am new to the forum and hope someone can help. I just picked up another model 97 take down and the top of the reciever on this one is matted. Haven't seen this. The slide is marked model 97 the serial # dates it 1940. From what i have read matted recievers where on trap models but the bolt is not marked trap thank's Gary

Comments

• dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a winchester 97 serial#413201 with a two barrel set 32 inch full and a 26 inch improved cylinder...what would the value be?
    edited November -1
    Got a Winchester 1897 my dad brought back from Korea. (He was in WWII in the Pacific also, but I don't believe he had this then). Serial Number 953***. Got the GHD stamp on the stock. Pretty good condition. No rust, but a little "tarnished." Also, the pump handle wood forestock is gone. I have a replacement I ordered, but can't figure out how to get the damn thing on. Any idea where I can find a fieldstriping manual for this thing, or any easy way to get the forestock on?
    These things seem to sell for a fair price, but I really want to keep it. Probably need to take it to a gunsmith to clean up, etc.
    Any comments or suggestions?
    edited November -1
    hello,

i became a 16 GA winchester shotgun in quiet nice condition.
    some parts are missing, but i hope you can help me out!
    it is a model 1897 early serial (matching) build in 1898.

the trigger guard and trigger are missing and i guess some screws on the receiver as well.

does anyone had a good partslist with pictures?

thx
    edited November -1
    How long did they build the 1897 shot gun. I seen a add on Gun Broker that had one built in 1940
    edited November -1
    Would like some information on Winchester 1897 sn# 306148.
    Full choke, knob pistol grip, steel buttplate.
    This piece is heavily engraved with engraving on the receiver, barrel and trigger guard. The wood isn't checkered but looks original.
    Any help on value and year produced appreciated.
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    I am inheriting a few shotguns from a relative. A Remington 870 Wingmaster, an early Mossberg 500, and perhaps the coolest, a Winchester 1897.

I do not have any info on the gun, but was just curious if there were any serial number ranges in which there were issues with the design being reliable or safe. Most likely this gun will only see some light clay busting activities, but perhaps might see some fair weather hunting.
    edited November -1
    This question is for Bert H. I am looking at a Win 1897 30" full choke with serial number 170692. Can you tell me DOM?
    edited November -1
    i just picked up a model 97, serial # 169709. it's in very good shape. can anyone tell me about how old it is?

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
    edited November -1
    Hi, Hopeing someone can tell me when my Winchester mod 97 was made?. Its Ser# 4167XX !2 gauge. Thanks
    edited November -1
    i am trying to sell a model 1897 for a co-worker. everyone asks for the serial numbers on barrel and receiver. the numbers i have on the gun and has been verified by more than 1 person is LL2259 both match. on the receiver the letter C appears above it. any help would be appreciated.

mike
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 1897 that I just picked up , accrding to the info I have found serial number date goes around 1904-1905 , it looks to have standard steel barrel, my question is, can it shoot modern style shells or do they have to be B.P. shells? Same thing with the 16 gauge Newport I also picked up? I understand that that gun(s) has extremely long shirt tail, with Crescent Arms .Both Shotguns are an very good shape and tight actions , just unsure of what loads are safe. I will take to Gunsmith next week to have them looked at . Thanks for any help.

Kory
    edited November -1
    I own an 1897 Black Diamond trap,
    It has straight checked stock, small old style checked foreend, 12 ga, 30" bbl,solid ribbed, with matted receiver. The breech bolt is marked "Trap Gun".

My question is: Do all 1897 trap guns include the matted receiver?

Thanks
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May 24th, 1897 - September 30th, 1957, with a total production of 990,524 made in 12 & 16 gauge.

The U.S. Army ordered approximately 35,000 Model 97 Riot and Trench Guns for use in WW II, and they were kept in service well into the Vietnam conflict.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    May 24th, 1897 - September 30th, 1857 1957, with a total production of 990,524 made in 12 & 16 gauge.

The U.S. Army ordered approximately 35,000 Model 97 Riot and Trench Guns for use in WW II, and they were kept in service well into the Vietnam conflict.

[;)]