In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How To Dispose of an Inoperable Receiver?

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
Several years ago I purchased a Winchester Model 59 Pigeon Grade shotgun that had a cracked aluminum receiver. Cracks were so significant that repairs weren't economically feasible for me, so I used the parts to restore another Pigeon Grade shotgun. I then tried to sell the cracked receiver on the auction side, thinking someone might have the capability and desire to repair a Pigeon Grade piece, but no luck. It has been sitting in the gun safe taking up space ever since. I'll probably try to sell it one more time, but suspect the results will again be negative, which will then lead me to dispose of the item. My questions: How does one properly dispose of an inoperable receiver? I assume, even though inoperable, it's still a receiver in the eyes of the law and needs to be properly disposed of? How does one define "proper" when it comes to disposing of a serial numbered receiver? I suppose I could take it to the local sheriff's office and hand it over. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any method that renders it un-repairable would suffice.
    Personally, I don't care for cutting aluminum with a torch. I'd clamp it in my big vise and pound it into chunks with a BFH (big bleening hammer) and toss the chunks in with the rest of my scrap aluminum.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    Any method that renders it un-repairable would suffice.
    Personally, I don't care for cutting aluminum with a torch. I'd clamp it in my big vise and pound it into chunks with a BFH (big bleening hammer) and toss the chunks in with the rest of my scrap aluminum.

+1
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or take it to one of the dumb gun buy back things for a gift card.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got any local gunsmiths, they might know someone that would like to try and weld it for training/practice or have it on the counter as a example of when things go wrong.

I would think hack sawing it in 3 pieces would be easy enough.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Throw in a can collectors bag. It's broke, no need to make a federal case out of it.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an AR receiver go bad so I took a Dremel with a cut-off disc and cut out the serial number and taped it to my inventory then cut it in three pieces with an angle grinder. It was a DRMO M-16, so when the feds came to do an inventory check, just showed them the SN and photos of the cut receiver body and they marked it "Field Destroyed".
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I screwed up reloading a few years back and wrecked a 70's Smith Model 25. IIRC ATF website has a "how to" on cutting up a receiver so that it's no longer considered a gun. The cutting up points were pretty intuitive and there's no such thing as cutting up too much.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    one pound of tannerite outa do it[^]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact the manufacturer and see if they will offer any compensation towards a new gun!!!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    Last one I had to dispose of, I smashed it into uselessness with a hammer, and then sacked it up with the aluminum cans for recycling.

Oh yeah...I am a FFL, so I made the entry "DESTROYED" in my bound book.