In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 vs 50 mm objectives

MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
going to be picking up a new Vortex scope in a few days and have been leaning towards the 4-16x44/50mm. my question, is there any real advantage to a 50mm over a 44? yes i know the 50 will gather more light at the higher magnifications, but is that about it? i guess i am just wondering pros vs cons either way. will be mounted on a Tikka 300 win mag

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    yep, got that worked out.. or at least thought of. plan on using a DNZ 1 piece setup and they can accommodate either or. i know some people shy away from the 50mm objectives because they sit higher - hence, pulling them farther away from getting a 'comfortable cheek hold' maybe these are the 1000yd competition guys that would notice a difference, me i doubt it.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Now matter how much light the objective can gather, the human eye can only make use of some much of it. A 40-44mm objective usually transmits as much light as our eye can deliver. I remember years ago when 56mm objectives were all the rage, but you seldom see them any longer. If you plan to do considerable hunting in low light conditions, there might be something to be gained by going with the 50mm. The downside to larger objectives is weight, bulk and the need for higher rings and a higher cheek-weld.

Everything in shooting is a trade-off.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I don't like 50's simply because if you lay the rifle on its side on a bench or table the 50mm end makes contact first and takes the weight of the rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, so it seems like I might be better off saving $60 on the 44mm and calling it a day.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Tikka T-3, also in 300 Magnum caliber. It is topped with a 3-9x40 scope. I consider that size good for most hunting. I tried a 50mm objective first but liked the 40mm better. I think you will be pleased with a Vortex 44mm scope. I normally prefer less magnification, however. Most of my magnums wear fixed 2.5's or 4x, or variable 1-4's , 2-7's or 3-9's. By the way, I loaded some 110gr HP bullets just for fun and although these rarely group well in most magnums, in my Tikka I got right at 1 inch groups. These are great shooting rifles with the smoothest actions I have experienced in a modern sporter.