In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 71

jlpjlp Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know the value of a Winchester model 71-348
in 348 caliber. It appears to be about 50% give or take,
it has swivels for a strap and checker wood. The barrel
is short, about 20 inches

Comments

• jlpjlp Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any idea how many or these rifles were produced?

And, if someone has a rough idea, how many of that number were carbines?

thank you
    edited November -1
    I am looking at a Model 71, the seller says it is a Deluxe model but the checkered pistol grip stock does not have a grip cap, the checkering looks like Winchester factory,the pistol grip stock profile looks more like the standard.
    Could it be a Deluxe?
    serial #291xx
    Thanks for your help
    edited November -1
    A few months ago, I ended up with a Winchester model 71 made in 1936.
    What is the story on this rifle and caliber? I know it was discontinued in 1955 or 1956 but why?
    A .348 is a pretty hard hitting cartridge. Was it just time for something new or did another manufacturer drive Winchester to discontinue?
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The model 71 in question was built in 1949, and is a short tang variation.
    Bert will have to answer your grip cap question, as I am not completely positive my answer is correct.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The checkering on that Model 71 is not factory original, and it is a standard Model 71 rifle versus a Special (deluxe).

Can you provide the complete serial number to me? I wrote & published and article about the Winchester Model 71 a few years ago that covers all of the production details, and I would like to add this rifle to my survey.