In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911 Question

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
What do you guys think a Colt 1911 first year production civilian model with three digit serial number under 500 is worth? Ballpark? It is solid 90% with one mag. It is one of the early glossy ones. It's pricey, but I might buy it. Looking for feedback. thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Colt 1911 pistol. The left side of the slide is marked Colt's Patent, etc. and is also marked on the right side of the frame "US Government Property" and "Rock Island Arsenal". It has the inspector's initials on the right side also. It appears to be about 90 to 95%. Price is $600. Good buy or not??? I can't find it in my limited library of reference/value books. Thanks for your advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got a Colt 1911 in, Government Issue, ordinance bomb, inspector stamp S/6, serial #504229. From my research, it should be 1918, am I correct?
    Someone has put adjustable sights on it, in the original dove tails, and it has an old set of engraved ivory grips, with pieces broken out. The gun looks to have been re-blued, the stampings are all very crisp though. There is no rampant Colt on the rear of the slide, as I thought there should be. The barrel is marked HS, I assume High Standard. The slide and barrel are very tight, someone has worked on it at one time.
    I'm going to take it to trap shooting this evening and test it before we shoot trap. I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow.
    Thoughts and opinions please.
    Thanks for looking.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went to the range today with 3 weapons, and came home with a barrel of questions, here is the next one.

I have a 70 series colt that had a trigger job when I purchased it, the trigger was extremely light to the point of almost dangerous. On a few occasions it may have double tapped, I say may because I may have allowed my finger to hit the trigger again.

So, that was a month or two ago, I took it to a pistolsmith (who shall remain un named), to have night sights put on it, and he strongly suggested having the trigger job redone to make the gun safe.

Today I went to shoot the pistol, after an expensive bill at the pistol smith, and it is now single action about half the time. (IE, you have to cock it manually after you shoot it)

I was extremely frustrated to say the least, and am returning it to him to be corrected, however, my question is this,

what causes this and how can I be positive he has it right when I get it back, this is not a collector gun or a "safe queen" , it is something I intend to use and carry.

besides the obvious of going out and putting 500 rounds through it, is there anyway I can establish if he is giving me a product I can put my trust in? or should I just keep carrying revolvers (joke)

PS. I was sure proud of the 44 mag revolver though, it didnt' fail to fire, and it put 3 bullets touching each other at 15 yards tonight with full loads in it, that baby is what I will reach for if given a choice! (it's a bit large for carry)

thanks in advance as you can probably tell I'm kind of a newbie to colts and springfields!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i bought a colt 1911 yesterday, and i am wondering if i have the original box. i have a government model 70's series in nickel with a prefix "70B" which is 1981-83 manufacture. should this have come with a two piece box or the newer one piece blue hard case?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A man after my own heart. I shot several clay birds out of the air as thrown by an Outer's thrower after the lady in training missed with her shot gun, I hate wasting targets. Numerous real birds on the wing with my first 1911.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on the type of adjustable rear sight? There might be a taller front sight also? If the rear sight dove tail has been left original? And/if the replacement front sight has been swaged, using the original hole in the mortice. Rather than silver soldered? It wouldn't be difficult, to refit with the correct period replicas.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    A man after my own heart. I shot several clay birds out of the air as thrown by an Outer's thrower after the lady in training missed with her shot gun, I hate wasting targets. Numerous real birds on the wing with my first 1911.

Please stop peeing in my Cheerios, Charlie. I have enough trouble hitting them with a ounce and 1/8 of 7 1/2's.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    looks like Shipped around OCT 1918have you taken grips off ? most all 1918 Had heart shaped GRIP FRAME CUT OUT [red]EDIT the PRANCING PONY will not be at the rear prancing Horse in middle of slide just above the slide stop pin dismount hole 1918 "black finish " the slide will never be original again with adjustable sights but I bet It will also shoot better than original The safety slide stop pin and hammer all need to be looked at to see if same vintage as the frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Karl,
    The frame has the hart shaped cutouts, and the serial number is in the correct sequence. I'm thinking the rampant Colt has been buffed off the rear of the slide. Doesn't have the correct mainspring housing. Shot it Friday evening, nothing impressive. As soon as it quits raining and the sun comes out, I'll get some pictures.
    W.D.