In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta Olimpia/ Super Sport?

GUNNUT75GUNNUT75 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
I picked this up as just a quality made gun on a gamble the other day for $800 thinking I couldn't go wrong. The owner had some printed paperwork with it that called it an Olimpia with an "I". It has a checkered stock with a cheekpiece and a matte finish barrel as well as a Beretta scope. What do I have here for sure. I can't even find this model in the Blue Book._DSC0881_zpsivbrftro.jpg.html

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The Olimpia dates back to the early 1960s, but your is the later variation (Olimpia X) from the mid 1980s. There are a two versions of this rifle, both of them pricey, so that none were imported into the Untied States in large numbers. The reason is obvious...How many Marlin 60s or Ruger 10-22s can be purchased for the same money? Your rifle is the versions of the Olimpia which has the heavier barrel, fully adjustable rear sight and hooded front sight. The factory Beretta scopes are seldom seen, once again due to their high prices. The dual bolt action-semi auto was the main feature of the Olimpia, but this is more of a novelty than any fictional advantage and makes the rifle more of a curiosity than a collectible.

The rifle and scope appear to be in mint condition. Since I like unusual firearms, especially those which are seldom seen in the United States, I think you did fine at $800.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Neat they also made a target edition Pistol at about the same time . I had one a great shooting pistol with an absolute grip angle an the bore line very low in your hand . I should have kept it but someone wanted it more than me. I do have some pictures. The scope mount on your rifle is very interesting . They also made the 22 SEMI AUTO rifle that was sold under the Weatherby Mark XXII before they moved to a Japan maker
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Beretta Olimpia bears a strong resemblance to the Walther rifles Models 1 and 2.

Beretta also made the Tipo Olympionico .22 pistol. Although it was on their basic 1934 action, it had an overall resemblance to the Walther Olympia (which was developed from the PP.)

Was Beretta in cahoots with Walther or did they just copy successful products?