In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Inherited WW2 gun collection... now what

tedlange1tedlange1 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2015 in Ask the Experts
My father passed away last year and I am now the owner of 36 guns mostly from WWII. My mom has stage 4 Alzheimer's and I am looking to sell them to help pay for her care.

I would love some guidance. I don't know if the best route is to try and get my FFL to sell them or if there are better options.

Here is a link to some pics of two guns from the collection. One is G43 duv .44 and the other is a British M 47 sniper riffle.

[urlhttp://s1191.photobucket.com/user/BAMFsdh/library/Guns[/url]

I appreciate any help and guidance.

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm, well, depends if you want to sell them here which will take time or just have an auction house sell them minus 20% or so or just sell them to a local gunshop at about 50-60% of value roughly.. WW2 stuff here brings good money, sorry can't be of any more help.

NUNN or Locust Fork here on the general discussion forum would consign them and I will bet you will have some e-mails coming now to see if you will sell them to themselves. Just sayin.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for you loss. Your link doesn't work for me.

Unaltered military rifles are very collectable if in good or better condition.

Local value is one thing vs. a National value.

Shipping/handling and FFL fees on a $250 rifle likely not worth it however on a $2500 rifle they would be more acceptable.

Make a list of what you have, then search the completed auctions to see what the market is like for one in similar condition.

added:
    Wow, almost all had the cleaning rod and look issued without extra holes. I'd bet the sniper set up goes for serious money. I have #20 made by Erma, one of my favorite 22's.

additional: Getting every last $ out of each item will take a lot of time while perhaps 95% could be had today. Just guessing I'd say a tad more than half will bring more on a national market. I got dizzy scrolling threw the pic's. You will need way better ones to draw the top $ from collectors. A pro photo person might be a good idea.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I uploaded all of the pics I've taken for anyone interested. I numbered them all so that I know which one is which in the pics.

Sorry for some of them being rotated the wrong way.

http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/BAMFsdh/library/Full%20Set%20of%20Guns
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    You don't need a FFL to sell on here.

Are you knowledgable on what you have or clueless?
    If the majority or like the G43, you can make a small fortune selling them yourself.
    If clueless, find someone who knows the guns, let them list and make 10% of the sale price.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the photos, which don't show all of the minute details needed for full authentication, you have a potential treasure trove on your hands. If you don't have a strong level of knowledge of what you have then P3skyking hit it dead right. You will be way ahead letting someone help you for a percentage than trying to handle this yourself and risking a large loss.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been researching them all and learning what I can, but I definitely would like to work with someone knowledgeable. I don't want to sell this collection for anything less than what it is worth. I see this as a way my dad can still provide for my mom even in death.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Ted, lots of collectors live in Cali, so it shouldn't be hard to find one close to you that sells on here.
    Get a contract with any stranger unless you feel EXTREMELY comfortable doing business with.

I used to live in Mountain View and Eddies was a good shop, but that was 25 years ago.

Maybe someone on the forum is close by and can guide you? They should have a hands on inspection to sell outlining all the nuances of the weapon.

Good luck.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    California has some very stringent laws regarding semi-auto rifles. Hopefully when you dad was still around, he papered the rifles that required it.

Be very cautious when selling the semi-autos especially. Not dotting the i's or crossing the t's, when selling/transferring them. Could get your door kicked in a 6:00 AM by the JBT's.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any reputable auction house will serve you well. They are very knowledgeable in disposing of collections such as yours.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ted,

I recommend that you contact Carol Watson - http://www.cwocauctions.com/