In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Collectble value

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I was reading an article in Gun Digest that seemed to imply a professionally rebuilt gun did not really effect the collectable value. It seems to me if a gun is rebuilt no matter who rebuilt it the collectable value would be gone. It could still be a high value gun but not a gun I would compare to one that had not been messed with. Would I be correct?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1, as far as I would be concerned. No mater how well and professionally, a collectible firearm has been restored. It's not factory original.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I was reading an article in Gun Digest that seemed to imply a professionally rebuilt gun did not really effect the collectable value. It seems to me if a gun is rebuilt no matter who rebuilt it the collectable value would be gone. It could still be a high value gun but not a gun I would compare to one that had not been messed with. Would I be correct?
    Depends on what the gun was like when you started, what was done to it and who did it. If (for example) the gun were a splintered mess of rusty pieces, then I think a professional rebuild potentially could add value.

In certain individual cases, really good overhauls by a small number of "name" gunsmiths might improve overall value. EG, a good RE-restoration done to correct a previous BAD restoration could potentially improve a guns value. Restoring incomplete guns into some facsimile of original condition by adding period-authentic (or even replica) missing parts probably won't HURT collectors value, and might help.

But as a general rule, I think you're correct.

Gun collectors tend to prize "original condition" more than anything else so in the overwhelming majority of cases, restorations or rebuilds don't improve a guns value. In most cases, refinishes, woodwork, just reduce value.

This doesn't necessarily mean you should "never" refinish an old gun. Not every piece that has "some" collectors value has much. Its certainly possible for a given piece to have more sentimental value to YOU than a small amount of extra value to outside collectors.

Also, it doesn't mean that ANYTHING done to a collectors gun is instantly going to destroy ALL collectors value. Again, that depends on what's being done and to what. EG, an 1862 Winchester rifle is going to have SOME collectors value no matter WHAT is done to it. . .but, as above, its pretty easy to reduce value to collectors.
  • Options
    jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    I think its generally true for all types of collectore. The C&R milsurp crowd that Im into will go nuts when they see an example that has only been over cleaned much less refinished or replacement parts
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    ah, but it does allow people on a limited income to get a maybe hard to get firearm or to get a rare refinished firearm that can be fired with out hurting its value. mr myopic.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The article was undoubtedly written by someone who is in the business or refinishing firearms. It is almost never a good idea value wise to refinish or rebuild and old Winchester. Anyone who espouses otherwise is either ignorant, or dishonest.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a gun was restored in the EXACT way it was made originally so that it was indistinguishable from when it left the factory and it fell in the forest would it still make a noise.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    yes, and as it fell so would its value to a collector. i could see a refinished rare rifle in ones collection to fill a spot untill a original one could be found. but a refinished one may be welcome into a shooters collection. mr myopic.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    In Gun Collectors Digest (actually volume 1) Gun Collector's Digest - 1974 - Edited by Joseph J. Schroeder, Jr., there is a story of a flatside Mauser pistol in poor condition that has the pitting filled by welding, the original contours milled, and the finish restored using the original method employed.

The finished product is for all intents, brand new.
    I believe less than one hundred of this variation were produced.

Many weapons, even Winchesters, have sights replaced/added, wood renewed or replaced. When done by a craftsman, who would know and who would care?

An honest to God restoration cannot but raise the value of a rare firearm that would otherwise be unobtainable.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the time it doesn't make sense to spend 100% to make 50%....
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And a restoration that's difficult to tell from original high condition .....and is passed off as such, is called a fake or worse.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A refinished model 70 becomes a shooter.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was an article in American Rifleman about the handsome rifle that won a collectors' association award. They took it back when the restorer piped up to say he had refurbished the gun.

This guy says there is a sweet spot at which the resale value of the restored gun is greater than the price of the worn gun plus the cost of restoration. He is no doubt promoting his business and that sweet spot is probably very narrow.

Another restorer described how he indelibly marked his work so that it could not be presented as a well preserved original. I think all of them should do that.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse

Another restorer described how he indelibly marked his work so that it could not be presented as a well preserved original. I think all of them should do that.

+100 I once talked to probably the biggest name in restoration and asked if he did that. He said he did not. When I persisted with "Why not?" He said his customers don't want him to. Not hard to guess why.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Refurbishing and restoration are two different things. Refurbishing with the intent to deceive is unethical. Restoring is making it whole again with no intent to deceive.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A gun accurately restored with no intent to deceive is only one trade away from fraud.

I was once told by a collector that if I did not know enough to tell restoration from original, that I pretty much deserved to be cheated.

Years ago, a Del Grego restored Parker was a perfectly legitimate item, worth a good deal of money even though not as much as a pristine shotgun. I thought it would catch on, as with cars and furniture, but there is still the aristocracy of collecting who prefer their "5% of original finish in protected locations."