In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

KEL TEC 22WMR

JFUTCHJFUTCH Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
NEED INFORMATION ON THE BEST AMMO TO USE FOR MY 30 SHOT TOY. I HAVE HAD SOME JAMS AND HAD RATHER NOT STATE THE COMPANY. THE AMMO HAS BEEN WONDERFUL FOR MY RIFLE BUT JAMS IN THE NEW KEL-TEC.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only one of those I have shot was reliable with CCI.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    The only one of those I have shot was reliable with CCI.

THAT WAS MY PROBLEM AMMO.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My only experience is with a PMR 30, I bought years ago. Very reliable, but fussy ammo wise. Extremely accurate with the CCI 30 grain H-P's, with the Nickel plated cases. Not so much with other CCI ammo,( Most of their 40 grainers keyhole).

Might be your having a magazine, or break-in problems? If your still at a low round count. Mine has over 2000 rounds threw it. Only problem was not locking back, after last shot was fired. Strangely enough, after I mounted a small Burris red dot. It locked back OK, 90 percent of the time.

I would try another recoil spring, different magazine. And the CCI 30 grainers with the Nickel plated cases. To see if reliability improves.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    still working on my first two hundred. the high priced fed like a champ. the mag is hard for stiff hands to load after the first fifteen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JFUTCH
    still working on my first two hundred. the high priced fed like a champ. the mag is hard for stiff hands to load after the first fifteen.

Might try to acquire one of the Glock type magazine loaders, (although I don't know if anyone makes one, for the large PMR 30 magazine?)

This is the type that fits over the magazine. With a plastic "finger" that depresses the top cartridge. It's slow, but works OK. I have different size ones. To fit all my Glocks, and Glock Advantage Arms conversion units. Works great! Much easier to load, than trying to force in each individual cartridge.
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a PMR-30 a few months ago as an armadillo gun. Went to Wal Mart and bought two types of the ammo they had. One was CCI MAxi-Mag with the guy from the alligator show and says "Choot em" . The other is CCI V-Max.

I have made one range trip and shot about 100 of the Choot ems and 50 of the V-max. Ran like a champ with no issues what so ever.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by JFUTCH

Might try to acquire one of the Glock type magazine loaders, (although I don't know if anyone makes one, for the large PMR 30 magazine?)

This is the type that fits over the magazine. With a plastic "finger" that depresses the top cartridge. It's slow, but works OK. I have different size ones. To fit all my Glocks, and Glock Advantage Arms conversion units. Works great! Much easier to load, than trying to force in each individual cartridge.

Check out one of the Uplula loaders http://www.maglula.com/product-category/pistol-mag-loaders/
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both my CMR and PMR will fire Hornady 30 and 45 Gr. loads. It also shoots CCI Maxi Mags without issues.

That being said, your firearm maybe completely different. If you want to find what your
    Kel Tec will fire reliably and accurately, you will need to experiment. I would stick with the approved list that was included with your paperwork....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NO HELP FROM LULA
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suppose the heavier grain bullets should work better or am I wrong on this?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    Suppose the heavier grain bullets should work better or am I wrong on this?

Not in my PMR, but the OP's might be different. Like I said my PMR is real fussy ammo wise. Don't get me wrong, it will fire everything. But accuracy is meh, except for the Nickel plated, 30 grain, H-P's.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a fairly early manufactured PMR. I ended up sending it back to the factory just over a year ago when the take down pin broke. They updated the sights, gave me a new take down pin and replaced the barrel. Accuracy is better and No key holing with any weight bullet....