In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can't remove the Bolt from my AR 10 part ll

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
Spec4 yes the firing pin was removed. The bolt pin revolves freely but the head of it hits the carrier key tube.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Success used a heavy duty 1/4 inch wide screw driver and pried it out.

[img][/img]MVC-AAAAAR10338F.jpg

Now to get it back together but if you look at the second picture you'd think the hole for the bolt pin would be a little more rounded off.

[img][/img]MVC-AAAAAR10338F1.jpg
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Good deal.

I'm uncomfortable with having to pry it out with a tool also.
    I would probably contact Armalite and inquire if this problem has been addressed and if it has, would it be possible to exchange my assembly for a modified one at little or no charge?

If they say there's no problem, I might round the hole in the bolt carrier so it will rotate a little more to the left.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Two good raps with a rubber mallet got it back in and yes they will be getting a call from me tomorrow for sure, thanks for your help.[:)][:)]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I might round the hole in the bolt carrier so it will rotate a little more to the left."

Not sure I'd go this route. Keep in mind that this dimension controls rotary bolt engagement. Allowing/causing the bolt to "over-travel" could consequently change other aspects of bolt to barrel extension interface.
    This may be as simple as an improperly machined cam pin or gas key. If no help is offered by the maker, I'd take a wee bit off the head(only need to do one side)of the cam pin. This is a cheap and easily replaceable part if it gets mucked up.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now I can see that the bolt heads on the carrier key are so heavily staked that you can't remove them without destroying the carrier key. I suspect that there is a good reason why they don't want end users removing it.

Neal
  • Options
    TombstonejimTombstonejim Member Posts: 190
    edited November -1
    It may be an optical illusion from the picture. But, it sure looks like that the key is not square on the bolt carrier and canted slightly.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    armilite,

I'm sorry I didn't get to your question earlier, business called loudly...

I usually disassemble as many as 100 BCGs in a batch when I'm doing a run of barrels. Out of the 100, about 3 usually need a little 'gentle persuasion'.[;)] This has held true for the last several years and yes they are all Armalite. Your screwdriver solution is exactly what we use when this occurs. Nothing is being damaged because of the heat treat on the BCGs and we have never had a malfunction because of this. The rifles we build are not in the cheap category either, so we put maximum effort into getting the build done correctly, first time, every time.

I'm glad it all worked out well for you!

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "I might round the hole in the bolt carrier so it will rotate a little more to the left."

Not sure I'd go this route. Keep in mind that this dimension controls rotary bolt engagement. Allowing/causing the bolt to "over-travel" could consequently change other aspects of bolt to barrel extension interface.
    This may be as simple as an improperly machined cam pin or gas key. If no help is offered by the maker, I'd take a wee bit off the head(only need to do one side)of the cam pin. This is a cheap and easily replaceable part if it gets mucked up.

This what I said quote: you'd think the hole for the bolt pin would be a little more rounded off. No where did I say I WAS GOING TO ROUND OFF THE HOLE in the carrier.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Called Armalite today and talked to Joe in the tech. department. He forwarded me to the custom shop and repairs. Left a message and about an hour and a half later they called me back. Explained the situation and they are sending me an updated cam pin at NC.[:)][:)] Apparently I'm not the only person that had this problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    p3skyking
    Advanced Member
    Posted - 03/26/2017 : 10:00:21 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    "If they say there's no problem, I might round the hole in the bolt carrier so it will rotate a little more to the left."

armilite
    "No where did I say I WAS GOING TO ROUND OFF THE HOLE in the carrier."

And NOWHERE did I indicate that YOU said that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    p3skyking
    Advanced Member
    Posted - 03/26/2017 : 10:00:21 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    "If they say there's no problem, I might round the hole in the bolt carrier so it will rotate a little more to the left."

armilite
    "No where did I say I WAS GOING TO ROUND OFF THE HOLE in the carrier."

And NOWHERE did I indicate that YOU said that.

I thought you were talking about something I said Sorry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK no problem.
    I do think the machining of either the gas key or the head of the cam pin is the issue. Hope a new cam pin makes it work-that's by far the easiest fix.