In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What exactly is this on Ruger 10/22 Barrel ????

wallyentwallyent Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
Bought his a zillion years ago from someone that had no idea what it was and we never did check out. From our memory we wanted the stock that this was with. Is this a standard something or a legitimate part on this Ruger 10/22 barrel? Have no silencer/muzzle break knowledge so wouldn't know a real part if we seen it. This piece is approx. 2 15/16" long, 7/8" wide on outside and original barrel muzzle is approx. 2" inside. Total length of this barrel with adapter part is 20 1/2" long. Bore looks very shiny. Can wiggle this sleeve just slightly back and forth but there is a firmer part on bottom/and inside.
IMG_3729_zpsouvrlowe.jpg
IMG_3735_zps13ghsseo.jpg
IMG_3731_zpsi2rlsluq.jpg
IMG_3734_zpsk9xsqqpe.jpg
IMG_3733_zpsgf6ho24e.jpg
IMG_3732_zps3bnxspwm.jpg

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I briefly played with an El Salvador Ruger Mk 2 that had an umarked can on the barrel once. It screwed on and off the modified barrel so that it looked like just a heavy barrel Mk 2.

That looks like the same thing, just missing the guts.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be a barrel shroud? This is a photo of a commercially made one, off the net. For off-hand shooting, 10-22's always seemed a little "wippy" to me. Or as a faux suppressor, to impress all the guys at the pool hall.

Ruger%2010%2022.jpg
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look for set screws holding it to the muzzle. If you don't see set screws, try to unscrew it. Worthless piece of pipe made to look like a suppressor.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Look for set screws holding it to the muzzle. If you don't see set screws, try to unscrew it. Worthless piece of pipe made to look like a suppressor.

looks like in the 3rd and 4th pic it is pinned, still think it is just an old piece of pipe, from the end you can almost see where it was turned and cut..
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looks like someone trying to make a suppresser or recoil reducer
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "looks like in the 3rd and 4th pic it is pinned, still think it is just an old piece of pipe, from the end you can almost see where it was turned and cut.."

Yes, I stick to my original idea. Why would something be "pinned" to a legal length barrel. If you're thinking this is what is commonly referred to as "pinned and welded", it's not. If it was "p & w", it wouldn't "wiggle" even slightly. The front looks like it was cut with a pipe cutter and snapped off.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "looks like in the 3rd and 4th pic it is pinned, still think it is just an old piece of pipe, from the end you can almost see where it was turned and cut.."

Yes, I stick to my original idea. Why would something be "pinned" to a legal length barrel. If you're thinking this is what is commonly referred to as "pinned and welded", it's not. If it was "p & w", it wouldn't "wiggle" even slightly. The front looks like it was cut with a pipe cutter and snapped off.

I can see the fine threads in the third from the end photo. Unable to tell if left or right hand thread.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Though it is stamped Ruger, it reminds me of (but probably isn't) the aftermarket barrels with a flared area at the muzzle like that. Many people, myself included, shoot a barrel heavy gun better than sporter weight and that bridged the gap. Perhaps in that unlikely event, maybe the weight was removable?
    I think the more likely scenario is what those above said, either for suppressor or flash hider with the guts missing. When does the serial number date the rifle to?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably a launcher, powered by a blank cartridge. Check the actual inside diameter for what was the "round".
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like they were a head of their time with the forward forcing blast shields. You know like how Wilson and other folks are now making.

I'd like to know if a golf ball will fit [:D].