In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WRA factory rebuilds

metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
When winchester rebuilt rifles in the 1930s ,current or out of production parts were used.If a 94 or 92 came in with bad barrel would a 55,64 model be used on 94 .And would 53 or 65 be used on a 92.?

Would they over stamp markings of other modelwith 92 or 94

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As diverse as WRA was in providing their customers with their hearts desire, I don't see them mixing parts then over stamping the model numbers. I see that as more of a gunsmith of that era, adding to the pot.

I could be wrong, but if I am, I am sure Bert H will correct me.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by metalsmitty45
    When winchester rebuilt rifles in the 1930s ,current or out of production parts were used.If a 94 or 92 came in with bad barrel would a 55,64 model be used on 94 .And would 53 or 65 be used on a 92.?

Would they over stamp markings of other modelwith 92 or 94

In answer to your question, NO, Winchester would not have put a different model barrel on a Model 1892 or 1894 during the mid 1920s through WW II. Both models were still in production, and a new barrel for the respective model would have been fitted and installed. 99.9% of the time when you find a newer model barrel on an older 1892 or 1894, it was done outside of the factory.
  • metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about the left over 95 barrels that were remarked and shortened ,rechambered for the 94 . I always thought if a barrel was outside installed it had the circle P.
    Guy over on anouther sight has a pristine 1892 200,xxx with a 65 barrel remarked 92 over 65.Finish is 98% wood and metal and is original.Barrel has double strike WP and receiver has WP proof.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 95 barrels were specifically altered to use them up on the Model 94... All of them were made in 1928, which is the year the Model 95 was discontinued. The Model 95 barrels were unmarked before Winchester began altering them, and were rolled marked with the Model 94 designation... none of them were remarked, or partially remarked.

The circle "P" marking was applied by Winchester for mail order sales (non-factory installation). In later years, the mail order barrels had both the "WP" in an oval, and the circle "P" on them.

In regards to the Model 1892 in the 200,000 serial range with a Model 65 barrel on it, more than likely the barrel was scavenged from a Model 65 and installed on the Model 1892 by someone other than Winchester. A Cody research letter will reveal some of the facts.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd bet they would use the correct part as policy but with "lunch box" specials all bets are off.
  • metalsmitty45metalsmitty45 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appreciate all the help.