In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HKS Speed Loaders

aldo35aldo35 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchase a used Smith Wesson 25-2 and it came with 2 moon clips. On eBay there are HKS speedloaders that appears to load 6 rounds simultaneously. It make no mention of the moon clips. Is anyone familiar with this speed loader and how it functions. Thanks.
Aldo35

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. You insert a cartridge in each hole in the HKS and turn the knob to retain them. To load the gun, start all six cartridges in the chambers, turn the knob to release. Hold the gun muzzle down so they will drop the rest of the way into (clean) chambers.

NOTE: Speedloaders are not used with .45 ACP in the M25. I think they have one for .45 Auto Rim.

You need more clips. There are several tools to load and unload the conventional steel clips but there are also plastic clips you can easily load and unload barehanded, search "Rimz".
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Owned a Model 25 years ago. It was vintage early 80's. Each of the individual charge holes/chambers, in the cylinder. Was machined with a internal shoulder. This enabled you to load and fire cartridges without a "clip".

Although it worked. Extraction and ejection was problematic. Light loads would just fall out, heavier loads you had to push the brass out with a pencil.

I'm sure the speedloader, would function as H-C described. Depending on the load, you might have to manually extract each individual case from the cylinder though. This is if Smith still makes Model 25's, with the internal shoulder in the cylinder?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 or 3 (half moon) round clips are nicer for combat as you can stay topped easier if you pay attention. Full moon, 6 round are ok for the range, get the tool for it. +1 45 AutoRim, not sure anyone made a speed loader for them.

I had a 25-5 in 45 Colt that was a real sweetie. Too thin in the bolt notch for stepped 45 Colt loads. Best wheel gun shot pattern I ever found out of perhaps 40 or 50 different models/barrel length.

I made some fantastic shot with the 1955 S&W.

45 ACP belongs in an autoloader IMHO.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a bunch more of half, and full moon clips(they are relatively inexpensive), and the tool to load/unload them. You have one fine piece right there that will bring many years of enjoyment.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aldo35
    I recently purchase a used Smith Wesson 25-2 and it came with 2 moon clips. On eBay there are HKS speedloaders that appears to load 6 rounds simultaneously. It make no mention of the moon clips. Is anyone familiar with this speed loader and how it functions. Thanks.
    Aldo35

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/revolver-speed-loaders-work/