In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spiff Up Found Gun

Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
I was helping my best friend clean up a few things and one was to get a gun inventory. Under every bed in this old huge farmhouse we found 4-5 gun cases. Several had not been taken out in years. In one was a Model 70 Winchester Stainless Steel in .300 WM. He said he had bought from a guy at work and had forgot all about it. Asked me if I wanted it to give him $200 for it plus he owed me $200. So I gave him the 200, it has a Tasco Scope on it, but I am going to replace that with a Nikon Pro Staff I have that is brand new. My question is the stock is kind of dull and the gun needs some TLC. It is not banged up just been sitting in a case for years. What can I do to "spiff" it up, and make the stock look a lusterous black again? Make the Stainless nice too. Thanks!

Comments

• JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's black synthetic, take the action out of the stock and soak the stock in armoral!!!! let it sit for a day or two and then wipe it down....Been there done that... you'll be pleased....
    JIM.......
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You might consider spraying it down with "tire black", a spray or foam which is used on tire sidewalls to make them pretty again.
  • mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used very fine steel wool to clean up a stainless 10/22 that had grunge and black "corrosion". It cleaned up OK.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The possibilities are endless. Which model is it? Is it the push feed without the claw extractor, or the controlled round feed with the claw extractor? I believe the latter is called the Model 70 Classic. It also will have a 26" barrel.

For what you have into it, you got a steal on it. If it were me. I would make sure it had a good solid scope base on it, good rings, and upgrade even further to a Nikon Monarch scope(That is where I start. I usually toss a Vortex Viper PST on most everything these days).

For the stock, There are Richards, and Boyds. I have used several of the Boyds, and installed pillars in them, and bedded the action in them using Brownell's "Steel Bed", and they work well.

I have two Classics that are SS, one is in 300 Win Mag, and the other is 7mm Rem. Mag. They both shoot real well...better than 1 MOA, with the factory barrel.

The Amour All, and tire black trick will work wonders on your plastic stock, for looks. Never use regular steel wool on a Stainless firearm. To do so, impregnates the Stainless Steel with iron atoms, and it will get red rust showing up on a stainless gun. I always keep only Stainless steel wool in the shop...just for that reason.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just be aware of whatever you put on the stock will/may pop back out on the surface if/when the rifle sets in the sun or otherwise gets warmed up. Making it "look spiffy" may not be the best way to keep it's utility.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it shooting, areas that get worked will polish up. Some folks will spent money to make rifles not shine.

Clean the bore good. I like Shooter's Choice. Then work it over some with JB Bore Paste.

Load for it. I favor boattails in the over 160 grain class. 190's would be my first choice on top of a full case of a slow ball powder.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't use steel wool on stainless as it can cause rust. I use sandpaper or bronze wool or abrasive wool.If I want a shiny surface I will finish up with Flitz.
  • Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a Classic Stainless Steel Boss. Has flash suppressor or muzzle break. I screwed up it has a Redfield Revolution 3X9 Scope not a Tasco. I could keep that or put the Nikon ProStaff 4X12 on it, or go up to the Nikon suggested.

I have a practically new TC Venture .300 Win Mag that I may sell now. I do not need two .300s. I guess of the two the Winchester Stainless is a better gun, right? Although the Venture is a tackdriver, 200 Yards deadly!

Thanks for the information everyone!

Fitz

quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The possibilities are endless. Which model is it? Is it the push feed without the claw extractor, or the controlled round feed with the claw extractor? I believe the latter is called the Model 70 Classic. It also will have a 26" barrel.

For what you have into it, you got a steal on it. If it were me. I would make sure it had a good solid scope base on it, good rings, and upgrade even further to a Nikon Monarch scope(That is where I start. I usually toss a Vortex Viper PST on most everything these days).

For the stock, There are Richards, and Boyds. I have used several of the Boyds, and installed pillars in them, and bedded the action in them using Brownell's "Steel Bed", and they work well.

I have two Classics that are SS, one is in 300 Win Mag, and the other is 7mm Rem. Mag. They both shoot real well...better than 1 MOA, with the factory barrel.

The Amour All, and tire black trick will work wonders on your plastic stock, for looks. Never use regular steel wool on a Stainless firearm. To do so, impregnates the Stainless Steel with iron atoms, and it will get red rust showing up on a stainless gun. I always keep only Stainless steel wool in the shop...just for that reason.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was made by US Repeating Arms, I would keep the tack driver TC.