In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Warshal's History Question

zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
I got my Historical Information Report back from Smith and Wesson for my 357 magnum 6.5" registered revolver.

Turns out it was shipped to "Warshal and Sons" Seattle, WA in November of 1936.

There is a nice write up on the history of Warshal Sporting Goods in the Aug 07, 2007 Seattle Times, written by Steve Warshal whose father and uncle founded the store in February 1936.

He only refers to Warshal's Sporting Goods though, not Warshal and Sons.

Right now there is a holster and another listing for an an ammo belt on GunBroker, interestingly one is "Warshal and Sons", the other is just "Warshal" unfortunately my holster although looking very similar has no marking.

So, when did they change the name ?

EDIT: Did a little more searching and found some ads from 1936 and 1937 that reference J. Warshal and Sons Sporting Goods, so looks like (J.)Warshal and Sons came first and then it became Warshal Sporting Goods when "J." retired or passed on. One of the listings talks about J. Warshal opening in 1921. My question still stands though as to when ?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot of places, I.E. towns and counties. Have "Historical Societies". Many of them, have access to older directories/yellow pages. That list, older long defunct business's. Probably by GOOGLEing, you would be able to locate the ones in the Seattle area.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think that you could find old sales tax license # on line in a data base, old phone books, chamber of commerce or some other gubernment required paperwork with company name.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well my memory goes back to the mid-1940's and it was always Warshals Sporting Goods. A good friend of mine rented a building from the Warshals through the late 80's and Adolf Warshal would stop in from time to time to collect the rent. I remember being in Warshals one time (early 60's) when some big Sweed came in and asked for a box of 50-100 cartridges...and he got them. They seemed to have ALL the old stuff in that store. Seattle has now eliminated every business that dealt in firearms or related merchandise.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have fond memories of visiting Warschal's shop in downtown Seattle (in the 1980s & early 1990s). This may be of interest to you...

http://archiveswest.orbiscascade.org/ark:/80444/xv77647
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross
    well my memory goes back to the mid-1940's and it was always Warshals Sporting Goods.........

Great to read this kind of first hand historical background. Seems like the leather goods like holsters and ammo holders are marked with all 3 variants in the name, and all the early ads say "J. Warshal and Sons".

I have an email in to one of the Warshals, so hopefully he will get back to me to clear it up and I will update if he does.

Edit: So through a combination of newspaper print ads, Colt and S&W Factory Letters, and J. Warshal and Sons Catalog it is I would say definite that through at least Dec 1940 the store is still doing business as "J. Warshal and Sons Sporting Goods" Makes sense though that everyone would just call it "Warshal's". So now maybe the question becomes when did they stop marking leather goods J. Warshal and Sons ?

Another addition: A handbook claimed to be from 1941 ink stamped by the store that reads "Warshal's" and under that in smaller type "sporting goods and cameras" then also a S&W historical factory letter that shows an engraved pre-model 27 357 magnum revolver shipped to "Warshals Sporting Goods" in 1956
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did they make their own holsters, or were they made by someone else and stamped for their business?? My thinking is that there could be some overlap between production and sales. Great story though, please keep us informed to what you find out. Also, if this thread gets to 10 posts it will be locked. But you're encouraged to start another thread with a part II, III etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Did they make their own holsters, or were they made by someone else and stamped for their business?? My thinking is that there could be some overlap between production and sales.

I got hold of an old original 1937 J. Warshal and Sons catalog (which is pretty cool btw with an amazing selection of rifles, shotguns, pistols, and revolvers in many models and calibers). The catalog states "We Stock Heiser Holsters", but does not say that all their holsters are Heiser. I Like this too: "Send us your raw furs. We will pay you cash or trade. Warshal gives an honest deal".

edit: on another forum a contributor says that Lawrence and Heiser both supplied holsters to Warshal Sporting Goods
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross
    well my memory goes back to the mid-1940's and it was always Warshals Sporting Goods. A good friend of mine rented a building from the Warshals through the late 80's and Adolf Warshal would stop in from time to time to collect the rent. I remember being in Warshals one time (early 60's) when some big Sweed came in and asked for a box of 50-100 cartridges...and he got them. They seemed to have ALL the old stuff in that store. Seattle has now eliminated every business that dealt in firearms or related merchandise.

From an interview with Dennis Warshal regarding when they were renters and not landlords:

"Yes so it stared as that little yard goods store, or soft goods store, whatever it was and then it became a pawnshop. And they kept carrying whatever people wanted and my father tells the story that eventually they got so big that they moved into this location at First and Madison. And every month the landlord would come in to collect the rent, the landlord at this time was Joe Gottstein. And when he collected the rent he would say something like wow, you guys have a lot of merchandise. And the next month the rent would go up. And he?d come in, he?d say wow, you?ve got a lot of customers. And ultimately my father said to him look, I can?t take this anymore. How much do you want, I want to buy the building? And he came back with a figure and my father went to the bank and said we need to borrow this money. And the bank said you?re out of your mind. This is exactly double what it?s worth and my father said I know. I know that. I want to buy the building. So they eventually found the money, they were able to borrow the money and they bought it from Joe Gottstein and it turned out to be a good investment because it was a valuable piece of downtown property when it was sold in 2003."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I guess at this point I have confirmed based on printed documents in hand, and scanned documents online that the name changed from J. Warshal and Sons to Warshal's Sporting Goods (and Photography or Cameras) in late 1940 or 1941. The exact date of the change is unclear. Some of the leather stampings and ink stampings leave out the apostrophe (i.e. Warshals). So my search for a proper period J. Warshal and Sons stamped holster continues. Right now there is a holster on GunBroker that has the marking I am looking for: item number 640866823.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Warshals also owned property at 53rd and Roosevelt in the U district...and Adolf would drop in every once in awhile to collect the rent and chat. Interesting fellow with lots of stories.