In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 38 D.A. 3 1/4 inch

markhowemarkhowe Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited April 2017 in Ask the Experts
We found an old revolver in it's box; not in great condition but not terrible. Recommends cartridges mfg. by "Union Metallic Cartridge co, Bridgeport, Conn." Box lists 'S&W 38 D.A. 3 1/4 inch.'
"We do not guarantee our revolvers when used with smokeless or nitro powders."
It appears old but how old?? Anyone know the history?
How do I post photo?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Instructions for posting photos, at this link.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

S & W made many different models of top break revolvers, in 38 S & W caliber. For 60 years, between the 1870's and the 1930's.

Best indication of model, would be patent dates on top of barrel. Also serial number. As they were numbered in different ranges.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were five models of the .38 DA.
    The serial number on the bottom of the butt would let us place it to the decade.
    History? Not likely, they made thousands and thousands of these little guns over a good many years. You could get a factory letter researched by Roy Jinks but all that would tell you is when it was shipped to what dealer and the original configuration... which it probably still has.
  • Options
    markhowemarkhowe Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks!
    If anyone is interested in a photo I am markhowe@cox.net.
    Otherwise, that is pretty much the info I was looking for.
    [hope there's not a rule against posting my email]