In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German shotguns made in GDR

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in Ask the Experts
I've ran across a couple of shotguns lately with made in GDR on them. one was a Merkel the other a Simson Suhl. Is this an East German mark made during their time in the USSR?

Any concerns with guns made there, good or bad?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GDR = German Democratic Republic. Better known as East Germany. The shotguns were actually made in East Germany. Not in Russia.

Because of various laws restricting trade, with the countries behind the Iron Curtain. Guns made in East Germany, weren't commonly found here in the States.

They had a good reputation for being quality guns. Highly though of in Europe countries. That didn't have the restrictive import laws like the U.S. did.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Merkel and Simson were established quality gunmakers before the Nazis took over and long before the Communists took over.
    They just had the misfortune to be in the East Zone when the country was divided up at the end of the war.

Merkel is still in business, although under Arab ownership.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought that was the case. East German guns made behind the wall. The quality was my concern, rufe says they kept quality up.

I found this one interesting, I just don't have the cash right now. Seems well made and I like the double triggers. Needs more choke in one of the barrels to be real useful to me.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/649913489

I passed on a Merkel made in GDR at a good price that I now wish I had bought.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Merkel and Simson were established quality gunmakers before the Nazis took over and long before the Communists took over.
    They just had the misfortune to be in the East Zone when the country was divided up at the end of the war.

Merkel is still in business, although under Arab ownership.

Other than the names, there was no connection, between pre W W II Merkel and Simson companies. And the ones, in post W W II East Germany, who had the same names. The East German ones, were communist state enterprises. Who used the Merkel and Simson names as honorifics, to the pre W W II Merkel and Simson companies.

Completely different, from Walther in West Germany. Where family members rebuilt the original company.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disappointing, but not surprising. Very few if any gun companies with real continuity of operation. Beretta?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    The quality was my concern, rufe says they kept quality up.

As rufe already said, almost all of the production was exported to western Europe, so quality standards were high. In the old ComBloc, goods from East Germany, Czechoslovakia and Hungary were in high demand due to their superior quality.

Russian goods on then other hand were built to standards (declining):
    Aerospace/Nuclear
    Military
    Foreign export to the West
    Domestic consumption
    Export to Satellite nations

Needless to say, if you lived in Bulgaria that Soviet built TV set you spent ten years saving for was not exactly a Sony Trinitron!