In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HS model HB barrel removal

khornetkhornet Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
Some genius hack sawed the barrel on a HS model HB. I think I can get a another barrel but I'm having trouble getting the old one off. After you remove the pin what's the best way to get it off?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The Hi-Standard Pistol Guide by Burr Leyson" Gives these instructions. Drive out the barrel retaining pin with a 1/8" drift. Than remove barrel. No specific instructions.

Believe this means using something like a brass drift. The slide has to be removed first, of course.

Might try soaking in Kroil, after removing retaining pin.
  • Options
    khornetkhornet Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pin is out, how does the barrel come out?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure on HB's but I think it is just driven out of the frame.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by khornet
    pin is out, how does the barrel come out?

Dug up a schematic for the HB. The barrel has a undersized round portion that fits in the frame. Once the barrel pin is removed it is driven forward off the frame.

It appears from the schematic though. Various parts in the frame, (hammer/slide stop). Have to be removed to get a straight shot at the barrel.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    The barrel is a light press fit but with the tolerances of the barrel it could be pretty tight. I suspect they selected for a light fit from parts on hand. The barrel had a 0.0005" taper over the length of the fit diameter so it got a little tighter as the barrel approached the proper position. I would apply Kroil for a day as the first step.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And that right there ^^^, ladies and gents, is MISTER Hi-Standard.

John- thank you for the SN data on your website- been a lifesaver.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are no specific instructions in the NRA Disassembly Manual for the barrel removal. But, from the schematic, it looks like once the pin is removed the barrel comes straight out. A good hit with a brass or aluminum punch should start it to move. Probably easier with the slide off.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try applying heat to the receiver with a propane or plumbers torch. I had to do that when removing the barrel on my Weatherby MK XXII. I also had to use heat when installing the new barrel