In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with Walther Identification Please

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
I can't figure exactly what this is. 7.65 cal barrel is appx 2.4". Grips are obviously replaced with some custom ones but nicely made. And it fires nice.

http://imgur.com/a/KP9nb

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 3, Walther. Quite rare as far as Walthers are concerned, (estimated total, 3,500?). Made before the first World War. But yours has a out of sequence serial number. Might have been assembled from parts, during the First World War?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe, I thought that was one of the possibilities but couldn't find a photo online that matched it. I listed it on the auction side.
    Be interesting to see if anyone comments.

Auction # 665818345
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't sell yours to cheap. It appears to be substantially different, than all other pictures of 3's that I have seen. Over and above the out of range serial number, and Fractor German W W I military proof mark. The grip appears longer. And the it doesn't appear to have the common knurled take down nut on the muzzle.

For all I know it might be a unknown variation, that was made. In very small numbers during the First World War?

141.jpg
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The left hand ejecting Walther variations do have a small cut collector following...

Not a lot of left hand ejecting semiautomatic pistols out there.

Mike.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe, Exactly what I was thinking. I put it up on the Walther Collectors Forum and I contacted a Walther guy from the East Coast and sent him a photo. I had a similar incident about 15 years ago and it ended up being a prototype that sold for 2K. After the auction the guy that didn't get it told me what it was. He said it was worth 3K to 3,500.00 but he didn't have the money to keep bidding. I had to send both guys a ton of photos to make sure it wasn't faked.

Well I found out what it is. It is a #4. Apparently they were made under contract during the war by a variety of people. This one has a thread in bushing that you have to have a spanner wrench to take out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Years ago I use to own a # 4. They were the most common of the early Walther's. Until the PP/PPk's, were made in the late 20's.

I don't know who told you, that your pistol is a #4? But they are full of beans. The short barrel is the tip off. Walther made # 4's from before W W I, until the late 20's. All had the standard 3.3" barrel length. Your pistol with the short barrel length is not a # 4. Below is a original Walther # 4, off the net.

Definitely wouldn't be drinking any of the kool aid, from the self appointed experts on the net. Put it on the auction with quality photos. Let the folks who bid on the open auction market, decide what it is.

20071124102526_04.jpg