In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ID for this part

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Ask the Experts

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flash Hider, maybe off a 1919? Any threads in the small end?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flash hider was the first thing, that came to mind also.

Way back when, Golden State Arms. Made repo Jungle Carbines, with similar looking aluminum flash hiders.

Here is one made up for a AR, that looks similar. As the previous poster noted, would have to be threaded internally in the small end.

608-7.jpg
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe the cone variant from a C model garand sniping rifle...

Hard to tell from the angle and perspective of the pic with no dimensional frame of reference and no view of the thread or attachment methodology...

Shape / profile is similar...

Mike.
  • Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got the magnifying glass out and found Cobra (o)? [V]
    The part is threaded inside both ends.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps for a Cobra machine gun. A pic of each end would have been helpful.
  • Options
    villafuegovillafuego Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were sold by RPB for the M-10, M-11, and M-11/9 SMG's.

The large end is threaded to accept a 2 litre bottle. I would keep it far away from one of those....
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by villafuego
    They were sold by RPB for the M-10, M-11, and M-11/9 SMG's.

The large end is threaded to accept a 2 litre bottle. I would keep it far away from one of those....

Thanks for the good information! Wouldn't have had a clue to what it was.

As far as keeping it away, from the plastic bottles are concerned. Seems that at most of the big city gun shows, I go to. There is at least one table, with guys selling "solvent trap adapters".

These allow small oil filters, to be attached to a gun barrel. How they get away with it. I don't have a clue? Don't seem, that it would be a heck of a lot of difference. Between the oil filter, and 2 liter soda bottle?
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two liter bottle acts as an field expedient suppressor for about 2-3 shots on sub-sonic calibers.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get away with what? They are just pieces of steel. Same for the kits that convert a Maglite flashlight to.....something else. All perfectly legal.

But, get caught using a homemade suppressor & no ATF form .... you have screwed the pooch.

Neal

"Arrest now, litigate later." --- ATFE motto
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Construction possession applies, and there's 18 USCS ? 921 to consider:

"The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication."

Not that I agree with the law, but I have too many guns to play around with an "oil trap" adapter.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    That is actually one of the better looking adapters, most were made of cheap plastic/polymer. Decades ago these little guys were prevalent at gun show and in the pages of Shotgun News, but the BATF took a dim view of them and declared them to be silencer parts, which are heavily restricted; more so than machine gun parts. If you have a firearm with a threaded muzzle, this device and a soda bottle you could be in for trouble. The watchword here is caution.