In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester model 1911 shotgun - desirability

coltnutzcoltnutz Member Posts: 206 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a nice Winchester 1911 shotgun this morning for what I believe to be a reasonable price of $245. Condition is about 90% with everything being original with average wear for a shotgun that probably 100+ years old. The gun would pass as a Browning A5 if you saw it laying on gun show table 10 feet away. I understand these were not too desirable at the time as they were dangerous to chamber a round and such. Is there much of a collector's market for the 1911 because I'm sure most guys would not want to hunt with one. General comments are welcomed. Thank you!

Comments

• tocamohatocamoha Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    from ten feet ? maybe. Design flaws hindered it .It's not an A5. It wasn't designed by John M. Browning.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    " Is there much of a collector's market for the 1911"............no there isn't because it is/was a bad design. they were known as "the widow maker". many parts changes.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over 100,000 made. You could send in your model 1911 and get a new model 12 from Winchester. No charge.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Owned one years ago. Took it out shooting couple of times, with no problems. The purported safety factor of chambering the first shell, borders on the nonsensical. No body unless they were drunk or suicidal, would chamber the shell. Pointing the muzzle at themselves, or any body else.

Besides the one I owned, have seen quite a number of others over the years. Because of there bad rep, no market as a shooter. The real rare one, that would bring bucks as a collectors item. Would be the Winchester Model 40.
  • coltnutzcoltnutz Member Posts: 206 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for all of your comments
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    Over 100,000 made. You could send in your model 1911 and get a new model 12 from Winchester. No charge.

Precisely 82,744 Model 1911 shotguns were manufactured from 1911 to 1925, and Winchester did not ever give anyone a new Model 12 for a returned Model 1911. The only return & replacement program that Winchester ever supported was for the Model 1893 Slide-action shotguns. From March 1901 through December 1919, Winchester would replace a Model 1893 with a new Model 1897 if the customer so desired.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

Precisely 82,744 Model 1911 shotguns were manufactured from 1911 to 1925, and Winchester did not ever give anyone a new Model 12 for a returned Model 1911. The only return & replacement program that Winchester ever supported was for the Model 1893 Slide-action shotguns. From March 1901 through December 1919, Winchester would replace a Model 1893 with a new Model 1897 if the customer so desired.

I thought that Winchester also exchanged The Model 1940's, Burt?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

I thought that Winchester also exchanged The Model 1940's, Burt?

No, they did not exchange the Model 40... they refunded the purchase price.