In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Inland M-1 carbine-is it original?

ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a very nice Inland Carbine that I think is near if not correct. Serial # is 6902XXX, barrel is dated 2/45. Stock and hand guard marked "HI" with Ordnance wheel. All parts are Inland, has a round bolt, Adjustable rear sight and bayonet Lug. I think by that late production this is correct but am not sure. One thing that is unusual is it still has the push button safety so this may be incorrect. Anyway any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your carbine is a late war model. The army had approved an adjustable rear sight and bayonet adapter for the carbines. Your carbine was built at a time when they were switching safeties to the rotary type. Yours should have a push button safety with a plain flat face, early ones were checkered. Your round bolt is correct as late in the war they skipped the milling process to save time on machining the bolt flat. Your stock is also correct with either the OI or HI configuration and four rivets in the handguard. Back to your rear sight, it should be a type III stamped sight with either a JAO or IR Co. mark and not a milled sight with a PI or HI mark (which was the earlier sight)

My opinion is that you have a carbine that did not see an arsenal rebuild after the war.

Lately carbines are commanding higher prices than usual and prices below a grand will show up as junk ones, with mismatched parts and banged up stocks. Yours is right up there with the good ones.
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thor hammer thanks for the reply, yes the push safety is plain flat as you indicated. The rear sight is the IR.Co stamped also. Looks like I might have a original non-reworked one as I had suspected.