In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pre 64 Model 70

gcrawford3gcrawford3 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a pre 64 model 70 in 25 ackley mag.The gun is in very good cond. Any help on value would be great.

Comments

• gcrawford3gcrawford3 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much would the value suffer on a pre 64 model 70 Winchester chambered for 375 H&H if it had been re-barreled? It has a Lyman All American scope, but I don't know the power. I don't know what the wood looks like, either. So, I guess what I should ask is a pre-64 Model 70 magnum action worth $1000?
    edited November -1
    I have a model 70 sn#134215 in a 270.I believe it is a 1950.This gun has a slide safety like on a 700, haven't been able to find a picture of one with this safety.Gun is in very good shape.Do you know about how much it's worth and how I can find a buyer?
    edited November -1
    What is the visible difference between a pre 64 model 70? Besides black walnut, I am talking about the metal work of the gun itself. Is there any dead give aways?[?]
    edited November -1
    what is the difference in a 300 or 264 std and a westerner...Thanks
    edited November -1
    Looking for any info. on a pre 64 model 70 in 30.06 sprgfld. serial # 5436**. The gun has a jeweled bolt and extensive engraving with a gold inlay elk on the bottom plate and a gold inlay bear on the bottom of the trigger guard. Underneath the bottom plate there is a FP stamped into it. On the barrel there is a oblong circle with the letter P and a W on its side within the circle. I know the gun was made in 1960, but no idea of value or rarity. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    edited November -1
    I own pre 64 model 70 I purchased it as a 300h&h. A couple of weeks ago I got around to shooting it, only to discover it has been rechambered to 300 weatherby. The gun is easily 96% otherwise.
    How much does this decrease the value?
    edited November -1
    take a look at the finish on this rifle..Auction # 58562206 ...what yall think?
    edited November -1
    was the pre 64 ever made in 6mm rem
    edited November -1
    Where can I find a model 70 pre 64 buttplate. Gun is a 264 mag made in 1961. Found several but all are too small.Should be curved without the top spur. HELP!!! Hunter Burden
    edited November -1
    I know this was posted at one time, I did a search and couldn't find it. Can someone post how many pre 64 model 70s where manufactured in each caliber. I meant to print it off, but didn't, now I can't find it. I'm interested in how many 264 Win mag rifles where built, not featherweights.
    Thanks for your induldgence.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    Is $500 dollars for a winchester pre 64 model 70 feather weight in .243 a good deal ?? perfect condition!!
  • snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your rifle is a very late 1961 gun. Without being able to see it I think the oval P with the W is the Win proof mark. As for the engraving I would think it is very unlikely that it is factory. Unless there would be paperwork to support it or someone can document the rifle I would not think this would enhance the value any great deal.

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye
    edited November -1
    The gun has a 24" barrel and weighs 7 3/4lbs. Under the bottom plate it is stamped FP. Is this a featherweight? The oval with the P and sideways W in it was made by the engraver, if this is a Winchester proof mark, would the engraving have been done by Winchester? Any value ideas? Thanks all.
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two engravers at Winchester at that time were John and Nick Kismut. Before them it was John and George Ulrich. The circle PW on the barrel is the proof mark, all winchesters have this. The FP on the floor plate is most likely the inspectors stamp. It is possible that this is factory work, the only way to determine this, would be to get the gun "lettered". I believe the Cody Muesium, in Wy does this. I don't have an address, sorry. If this is all factory, you have a very valueable gun. I agree that the gun was made in late 61, according to the Winchester book. If this is a "Super Grade" it should have a capped pistol grip cap, forend cap, and a raised check piece, with delux checkering. These were discontinued in 1960, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a special order gun. Special order guns, will have almost any type on engraving, as opposed to the standard style offered. Hope this helps you. Regards Dave
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two engravers at Winchester at that time were John and Nick Kismut. Before them it was John and George Ulrich. The circle PW on the barrel is the proof mark, all winchesters have this. The FP on the floor plate is most likely the inspectors stamp. It is possible that this is factory work, the only way to determine this, would be to get the gun "lettered". I believe the Cody Muesium, in Wy does this. I don't have an address, sorry. If this is all factory, you have a very valueable gun. I agree that the gun was made in late 61, according to the Winchester book. If this is a "Super Grade" it should have a capped pistol grip cap, forend cap, and a raised check piece, with delux checkering. These were discontinued in 1960, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a special order gun. Special order guns, will have almost any type on engraving, as opposed to the standard style offered. If it's all factory, several thousand dollars in mint condition. Hope this helps you. Regards Dave
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/index.cfm

This will get you the information you need to have them research your firearm.

My heros have always killed cowboys.