In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Cobra

SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
GENTLEMEN:

I JUST PURCHASED A COLT COBRA WITH HAMMER SHROUD FROM SOME OLD LADY AT AN ESTATE SALE. IT LOOKS NEW, NOT EVEN A RING AROUND THE CYLINDER, AND CAME IN THE ORIGINAL COLT BOX WITH HANGING PRICE TAG, (PRICE SAYS $110.00) AND OTHER PAPERWORK. SHE SAID SHE NEVER SEEN HER HUSBAND FIRE IT. ON THE END FLAP OF THE BOX IT SAYS, COLT COBRA REVOLVER, 38 SPECIAL, 2 INCH BLUE. THERE IS ALSO A SMALL BLUE STRIP OF PAPER THAT IS PASTED ON THE FLAP THAT SAYS "SHROUD". THE SERIAL NUMBER IS HAND WRITTEN ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX,IT IS A88958. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THIS WAS MADE? HOW MUCH COULD THIS BE WORTH? THANK YOU.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    When my father in law passed my wife found his 2" Colt Cobra Ser# 87726 with LW under it. She thinks he used it in WW11. Anyone know when it was made? Thanks,
    mcaso
    forgive me if this posts twice as I screwed the first time I tried to post it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Seeking info on Colt Cobra 38 spec. 2 in. barrel serial #86661 LW. Excellant condition except that someone lightly scratched initials on left side plate. Date of man.?. Are all cobras alloy framed?. Can plus Ps be fired in it if only on occasion?. Orig. grips in excellant condition. Payed $225.00 good or bad deal?. Would appreciate a comment on the reliability and ect. of this model. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a brand new colt cobra off a guy for $400. The guns has never been shot, it is in immaculate shape it dosent have one scratch anyhwhere on it. It is a blued finish. It also came with the original box and papers, the box is a little beat up but thats the only downfall of the gun. Did I get a good deal on this gun? How much is it worth? The serial # is 74368r and the model # is d3425.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How does a Colt Cobra, 1st issue, compare with the Colt Detective Special (.38)? It is lighter & should "kick" a 'lil more, but as a sidearm this should be offset by the lighter weight advantage--No?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went to a gunshow today. Sold a Norinco SKS Sporter to a vendor for $250. I paid $200 for it a month ago. Found a 1st generation Colt Cobra for $375. It has Pachmayr grips and is in about 95% condition. Worth the price? I have a 2 day pass and will go back tomorrow. Opinions?[?][?][?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a cobra with sn 60104 from 1976. The crane has a number 60067.
    Is it possible the factory messed up because the numbers are only 37 apart or did some one just change it later. The box end label is for
    number 60104, I thought it was NIB.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its basically the same as a Detective Special,only with an alloy frame. It was introduced about 1950, and was available in 22 as well as 38.The Colt Agent,also alloy, was similar in size, but had a shorter grip frame,and was introduced about mid-50's.Bob

Gun control is a steady hand
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trust me, your better off with a Detective Special. I owned a Agent years ago, it was a ***** to shoot even with light hand loads. As the size and cylinder capacity was virtually the same, the only difference was the 6 oz weight difference. 6 Ounces isn't that much difference if your packing it in a holster or a sturdy pocket. It does make a difference when you shoot it!
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have both and prefer the Cobra to carry and the Dick Special for everyday shooting. If you want to shoot +p loads, I would restrict them to the steel frame revolvers.