In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model 1917 30-06

PatriotPatriot Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington Model 1917 boly action rifle 30-06. I am seeking info on the weapon, year made, and estimated value, This weapon is is very good shape, appears not to have been abused in any way. Thanks for any come backs

Patriot

Dick lemoi

Comments

• Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    It was made for the USA during WWI. It should have the date of manufacture stamped at the end of the barrel. It was an Enfield desing that was being produced for the British in .303 They called it the pattern 1913. But when the US entered the war and needed weapons they started produceing them in 30-06 and called them the 1917. Winchester and Eddystone a divison of Winchester also produced them. Sgt Alvin York used a eddystone when he captured all those German soldiers.
    In mine and many others opionions it is the finest Milatery bolt action rifel ever made. It should be worth anywhere from $350.00 to $600.00. Depending on condition.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Options
    KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patriot -

There's a lot of things that need to be described before anyone can give you a reasonalbe guesstimate.

The 1917 Enfield pattern rifle began manufacture in WWI. Just when yours was made can be determined by serial number. When listing the number, use "x's" for the last 3 digets. Is it still in original military form and condition? What is the condition of the metal finish and what type of finish? What is the condition of the stock and handguards? What are the inspection stamps and where are they on the rifle? What is the condition of the bore?

If it has been "sporterized" at all, the value plummets. I have one recently inherited that was totally customized - no value to it now other than as a hunting rifle, but still, a darn'd nice one. The 1917 action is one of the strongest bolt action military rifles ever produced. They had a problem with some rifles due to too tight barrel/receiver mating and the receivers breaking when trying to remove the barrels. My rifle has a Douglas replacement barrel, so it must not have been one of those.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Options
    warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools, I believe the U.S. made 303 made for the Britsh lend lease program was a Pattern 14 while the 30-06 version was a pattern 17.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Warcob the one you are thinking about was the Savage made NO4. It was during WWII that this was used.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tools, the Pattern 13 was chambered for an experimental .276 cartridge that was never issued. The Pattern 14 was the .303. The U.S adopted this in 30'06 as the 1917. -Bob
    Thought I'd add this- The US did consider the 1917 as a modification of the Pattern 13, but the British made the distinction between calibers in their Pattern designations.
    Gun control is a steady hand
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Patriot,
    The U.S. Model 1917 manufactured by Remington-in original configuration-would have all "R" marked parts and be in the origianl blue. Post WW1 rebuilds are usually a mix of blue and parkerized components. Usually they are all parkerized. The "Pattern" is normally associated with arms made for the British. You may wish to check out the forum @ www.jouster.com
    I, perhaps have more knowledge on these rifles than many. If you wish to mail me through my profile-I would be pleased to advise. These rifles are very overlooked for collecting U.S. Arms purposes. They, I believe, are just coming into the collector's status. Good luck. 101