In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

first ak style help

cjkusnierzcjkusnierz Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
hay guies havet ben hear for a while just picked up a maadi arm can someone tellme what i have and how to tell the year?[:p]

Comments

• Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were pre-ban and post-ban Maadi's. Knowing what your's has for an importer would help get the age. The later ones were imported by CAI (Century Arms). The early ones were by Steyr. There were others in between. Some will have the year scribed in the side just below2 the rear sight, most will not.
    They all will be 7.62X39. Some will be legal with the pistol grip, some will not. Some will have US and Egyptian parts. Others will be all Egyptian. Some will have the thumbhole stock. All of these factors will vary depending on the year of importation.

If there are some specific questions I can answer, let me know.
    LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • Options
    cjkusnierzcjkusnierz Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am back well it has int/intrac knox tn on the ejector side witch is a reprint noted by the big goudges and the lettring under it i can only make out us.nj but their was clearly somthing elts there it has athredded barrel and probably the wrong wood but man does it shoot i mean supper fast not like fullauto but close does this help with id if you nead moore info tell me and ill find it[:p]
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best estimate would be mid-1990's. Century had the import in the late 1990's to around 2000. If it is a mid-1990's rifle it would have been imported with a thumbhole stock. It could have had enough parts added to legally have a pistol grip, but I doubt it. In that time period, there wasn't the availability of the necessary US parts to legally remove the thumbhole stock and put on the pistol grip and regular stock.

Many people just removed the thumbhole and put on the regular grip and stock without changing over the necessary internal parts, just so they could have the look they wanted. They didn't concern themselves with the fact that they were committing a feloney. Many of course didn't even know enough to know that they were violating the law. They simply saw the stock and grips being sold and put them on, because they wanted their gun to look that way.

Very few of the Maadi's were brought in before the 1989 ban given the fact that at that time, they were 3 times the price of a Chinese or Hungarian AK, and more than twice the price of a Yugoslav AK. Not to mention that the Egyptian AK's in that time period, looked like they had been put together by a 12 year old in shop class with little regard for the final fit, finish, or grade. They were the closest thing to an actual Russian AK that you could get since they were produced in a Russian built factory in Egypt. At that time we didn't have trade relation with Russia for guns, so the option of an actual Russian one was not a possibility.

After the ban, in the early 1990's, the thumbhole stocked Maadi's began to come into the US with prices that were very competitive with the Chinese MAK90. The fit and finish varied, but was usually better than what it had been in the early years (not always though). They must have realized that the US market wasn't willing to pay 3 times the price for the crappiest looking AK on the market, even if it was the closest to a Russian model, since it was made on Russian equipment.

LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM