In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

which AR-15A2 is which ?? Cobray M12??

grsmithmdgrsmithmd Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am very new to firearms collecting, but am very interested and really need some help. My understanding is there is an original Sporter II model 6500 with SN pre-fixes of SP, then there is the AR-15A2 Sporter II rifle with fixed stock and 20 inch barrel, then there is the AR-15A2 Carbine with collapsible stock, 16 inch barrel, and shortened forearm, then I won't even talk about the Tactical Carbine, Government Model, etc. The question is I have what I believe to be a pre-ban AR-15A2 marked Sporter II with an SP serial number, collapsible stock, short barrel, shortened forearm, flash hider, and bayonnet lug, so what gun do I really have, what is the model number, and what is it worth? I also have a gun given to me years ago that is labeled Cobray M12 in .380 auto with SN 12-00063XX and it is very similar to an Ingram MAC. Any information including value if any would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dr. Smith, welcome to the forum. I assume you are talking about a Colt rifle, although you did not say. You can check your Colt AR-15A2 against the following chart:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/

to see where it fits. I think you probably have a R6520, but am not sure. Does it have a GC prefix on the serial number? Depending on condition and whether it has the sear block, the value can vary a lot.
  • Options
    grsmithmdgrsmithmd Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your help. It is a Colt carbine with the mark "AR-15A2 Sporter II" it says nothing about Government Model-should it if it is a R6520? The most confusing aspect to me is that the serial number on my gun has a pre-fix of "SP" which according to the new Blue Book is found on the R6500 (among others). It is in excellent condition-maybe 50 rounds through it at most.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    When the AR-15A2 Sporter II (#6500) was introduced in late 1984 Colt continued to use the SP prefix serial numbers and kept on well into 1985 and possibly beyond. These early 6500 Colts were found without forward assist, but all of the later rifles had this feature and a few used the older M16A1 "tear drop" type plunger. All the 6500 rifles that I've seen had 1 in 7 twist barrels and the squared front sight post. If your rifle has the shorter 16" barrel it would be a Colt AR-15A2 Sporter II Carbine (#6420), which was discontinued in 1988 and replaced by the R6520 which JudgeColt mentioned to you.

Mark T. Christian